Jason, Emma, Denzel, Carlos, and Chen were discussing negative numbers.
Jason: “I think negative numbers are like ordinary numbers but with a negative sign.”
Emma: “Negative numbers are amounts less than 0.”
Chen: “I think of negative numbers as movements on a number line.”
Denzel: “Negative numbers are like debts, when you owe money, and positive numbers are like credits, when you have money.”
Carlos: “I do not think there is any such thing as a negative number. You can’t count negative numbers.”
- Whose ideas do you agree with? Explain why you agree. Use drawings or diagrams if you wish.
- Whose ideas do you disagree with? Explain why you disagree. Use drawings or diagrams if you wish.
- Do you have another way of thinking about negative numbers? Write your idea.
- Write at least two ways that negative numbers appear in the world around you.
- How could you convince Carlos that negative numbers exist?