What Did You Learn from the ISearch for Inquiry Class?

by INFOhio Staff 2 years ago

What was the most important thing you learned from this class? What makes it important to you?

Tracie Kleman 1 year, 8 months ago

I think it was the idea of mindset for Inquiry rather than seeing it as an all or nothing approach teachers can start small and grow the level of student independence over a year. I also loved the UN resource on Global Goals for Sustainable Development for a jumping off point to a project.

Fiona Casida 1 year, 5 months ago

I referred to this concept in another discussion question/answer, but I really like the idea of scaffolding inquiry as noted in Mackenzie's How to Ease Students Into Independent Inquiry Projects. The metaphor of throwing students into the "deep end" of free or independent inquiry before they are ready is an excellent reminder that students need to be guided before they are released; however, some students can navigate the water more quickly, so it's okay to have students at different places in the inquiry process. As a teacher, it can often be an uncomfortable place to have a classroom of students doing different things at a variety of paces. Sometimes I wonder as teachers, do we often revert back to structured or controlled inquiry because it feels safer and more comfortable?

This topic is interesting to me because I want to continue being the type of educator who questions my teaching philosophy/theory and is willing to try new methods that help students become independent researchers.

Christine Badenhop 1 year, 5 months ago

I have been using Isearch for years, but never had a chance to look through all the options and things available.  I had never used the Export option for citations and think many of the teachers will be using the export to Easybib instead of just cutting and pasting.  I also really loved the options for users to alter the "listen" options to suit their needs.  The highlighting and pace adjustments are great.  

Taryn Thomas 1 year, 5 months ago

I learned more about the citations. I knew there was the "cite" button, but learning that the students can actually export the citation to easybib or elsewhere was new information. It would be really helpful for my students as they need to have their sources cited, but going through the easybib website gets confusing to them. The listen options for the article are also extremely helpful to the students that may have problems reading from a screen or even just reading in general. 

Rob Kaminski 1 year, 2 months ago

For me, it was putting all of the tools and approaches together.  I didn't realize the different resources that populate the different tabs in ISearch.  Combining that with guiding students to record main subject terms as they begin their research and narrowing their search as they move forward, it pulled a lot of loose ideas together for me. 

Ariel Hakim 2 months, 3 weeks ago

This class was truly helpful in thinking about teaching students to conduct research well and with ease. I love the Cite tool. Also really appreciated the short video on note-taking methods.