Things Fall Apart, Chapters 3 and 4
With your group, review Chapters 3 and 4 of Things Fall Apart , looking for details about Okonkwo. Does he have the potential to be a tragic hero? Look for quotations that reveal his heroic side, as well as his flaws. You may want to follow the following steps in your group.
- Review and summarize the chapters you read for homework. Make sure everyone understands the basic events.
- Clarify any parts of the reading that were confusing and answer any questions that anyone had.
- Create a Dialetical Journal #2 in your notebook.
- Split up the reading and look for quotations that reveal key details or characteristics of Okonkwo. Each member of the group is responsible for a Dialectical Journal entry with at least three quotations.
- Discuss your findings together, sharing what you found, and come up with an overall summary of your understanding of Okonkwo’s character to this point.
- What would (or does) your character think of Okonkwo? Look at the quotations that your group found for clues. Together, select one to three quotations that you think best reveal a side to Okonkwo that your character might care about. This will help you with your Closing writing.
Share your insights with the class.