- Take turns with your partner. Match an equation card with a solution card.
- Explain to your partner how you know that the cards match. Your partner should agree with your explanation or challenge it if your explanation is not correct, clear, and complete.
- Record the steps you took to find the solution for each equation.
HANDOUT: Card Sort
- There is a value of the variable that makes the two sides of the equation equal. Think about what this value could be.
- Does the structure of the equation give you any clues about its solution?
- Try substituting different numbers on the solution cards into an equation to find the solution to that equation.