Ways of Thinking: Make Connections
- Take notes about other classmates’ methods for finding the area of Lake Chad.
- How close is your estimate to that of the rest of the class?
- If your estimate is larger or smaller, can you explain why? What did you do differently?
As your classmates present, ask questions such as:
- How did you calculate the area?
- What strategy did you use to calculate the area in a square that did not completely cover the lake?
- Why would you use this method to determine the area, as opposed to dividing the figure into composite figures as in the last lesson?
- Why do you think the problem used the term surface area rather than justarea ?