Which statement about federal grants in recent decades is most accurate?
- The federal government allocates the most grant money to income security.
- The amount of federal grant money going to states has steadily increased since the 1960s.
- The majority of federal grants are block grants.
- Block grants tend to gain more flexibility over time.
Which statement about unfunded mandates is false?
- The Unfunded Mandates Reform Act has prevented Congress from using unfunded mandates.
- The Clean Air Act is a type of federal partial preemptive regulation.
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act establishes crosscutting requirements.
- New federalism does not promote the use of unfunded mandates.
What does it mean to refer to the carrot of grants and the stick of mandates?