Wrongdoing in Things Fall Apart
What have we learned about Umuofian ideas of fairness?
With your classmates and teacher, briefly review the following incidents from Things Fall Apart. Each is an example of some kind of wrongdoing, which is followed in the novel by some kind of resolution (for example, punishment or restoration).
- In Chapter 2, an Umuofian woman was killed in Mbaino.
- In Chapter 4, Ojiugo angered Okonkwo by not cooking his meal.
- In Chapter 4, Okonkwo broke the peace in the Week of Peace by beating Ojiugo, his third wife.
- In Chapter 5, Okonkwo gets angry at Ekwefi, his second wife, because he thinks she has killed his banana tree.
- In Chapter 5, Okonkwo gets angry at Ekwefi because she insults him.
- In Chapter 10, Uzowulu and Odukwe have a dispute about Mgbafo. Odukwe says that his sister has been severely beaten, and Uzowulu is upset that his wife’s family has taken her back.