Overview of Percent
Summary of the Math: Overview of Percent
Read and Discuss
- A ratio of a number to the special denominator 100 is called a percent. Percent means "per hundred." The symbol for percent is %.
- For example, if 6 teachers and 44 students went on a field trip, then there were 50 people on the field trip in all. The ratio of teachers to all of the people on the trip is 6:50 or 12:100.
Therefore, 12% of the people on the trip were teachers.
- Explain what percent means?
- Find the percent of a number?
- Find the whole, given a part and the percent?