Ways of Thinking: Make Connections
Take notes on your classmates’ methods for performing operations with multidigit decimals.
As your classmates present, ask questions such as:
- How are operations with whole numbers similar to operations with decimals?
- How can you use estimation to check whether your solution is reasonable?
- Why do you need to align the decimal points when adding and subtracting with decimals?
- In a multiplication problem with decimals, how do you know where to place the decimal point in the product?
- In a division problem with decimals, why do you move the decimal point the same number of places in both the dividend and divisor?
- Why does your solution method make sense?