Figure Which of the following statements about the digestive system is false?
- Chyme is a mixture of food and digestive juices that is produced in the stomach.
- Food enters the large intestine before the small intestine.
- In the small intestine, chyme mixes with bile, which emulsifies fats.
- The stomach is separated from the small intestine by the pyloric sphincter.
Figure Which of the following statements about the small intestine is false?
- Absorptive cells that line the small intestine have microvilli, small projections that increase surface area and aid in the absorption of food.
- The inside of the small intestine has many folds, called villi.
- Microvilli are lined with blood vessels as well as lymphatic vessels.
- The inside of the small intestine is called the lumen.