Medieval Help Desk
In your small groups, watch the Medieval Help Desk video and then spend a few minutes talking with your group about it. The video is silly, but most people have found themselves on one side or the other of a conversation like this. Your familiarity with technology can put you on one side or the other of a big cultural divide.
As you talk with your small group, make notes on the questions below.
- Do you ever feel like the technician in that video? When?
- Do you ever feel like you have to explain something absurdly basic to somebody who’s unfamiliar with a piece of technology? How does that feel?
- Do you ever feel like the man who doesn’t understand how to use the book? When?
- Do you ever feel like somebody is explaining something absurdly basic to you, but you just don’t get it? How does that feel?
- Do you ever feel like you speak one language when it comes to technology and a person you’re interacting with speaks another? Or like you come from two very different cultures?
- What does it feel like to be in your particular part of digital culture?