Integrating BookFlix in Your Classroom

by INFOhio Staff 1 year, 9 months ago

Take the BookFlix class to learn more about this digital resource licensed by INFOhio.

What are two things you are doing in your classroom or instruction already that will make integrating BookFlix easier? 

Samantha Cornell 1 year, 8 months ago

I already provide families with digital resources and items to use at home, however I have been fortunate that I really didn't have to do virtual learning with my classes.

Samantha Hannahs 1 year, 5 months ago

We already read a combination of fiction and nonfiction books, so having these pairs are really convenient. I also send home resources for parents to use, so having something additional that we even use in the classroom is really nice!

A challenge that I face while implementing Bookflix is that not all stories that are on Bookflix are relevant to my themes, or all of my themes do not have matching books on Bookflix. 

I can preplan activities from Bookflix into my lesson plans to alleviate some of those challenges. 

The features I like most are that everything is visual and it reads the titles/ themes to you. These can be shared easily to allow students to navigate the website more independently. 

Gretchen Lawn 1 year, 4 months ago

I like how you're thinking about overcoming some of the obstacles. 

Gretchen Lawn 1 year, 4 months ago

I use Google Classroom, so using BookFlix in conjunction should be easy.

I think the biggest challenge will be vetting the resources. Through my brief exposure, I have found some quality pairing and activities and others that may need modification.

I do like the ability for students to hear the books and work on puzzles.

Leanna Falbo 1 year, 3 months ago

I am already using technology in the classroom with my large tablet. BookFlix will be a great resource to add to my current technology.

Kristen Vollmar 11 months, 2 weeks ago

As a technology coach, I am always helping teachers use technology to more effectively teach their lessons so integrating BookFlix will hopefully be another easily utilized option for them. 

Rebecca Pollock 11 months, 1 week ago

I mentioned in another post about incorporating socio-emotional learning as a focus and literature is such a wonderful way to do it as the characters are "third parties," making dialog with students all that much easier. Also, BookFlix will support teaching fact versus fiction. 

Timothy Fuller 10 months, 2 weeks ago

We use google classroom and the students can use this in my 4th grade class and the parent information is always a great way to get them onboard.

Kelly Linn 10 months, 1 week ago

I already use a Bitmoji classroom that my students and parents can access from home that I can link books to.  I also use a variety of fiction and nonfiction books in my classroom, but it will be helpful to have fiction books already paired with nonfiction books on specific topics with lesson plan ideas that relate to my curriculum.    

Celecia Merk 9 months ago

I think integrating Bookflix into my classroom will be easy because I already incorporate both fiction and nonfiction books, and I already use technology.  Instead of searching for appropriate online resources to use in my classroom instruction, I now can use Bookflix as a reliable, age-appropriate source that also aligns with state standards.  

It is really helpful that Bookflix is age-appropriate, we don't have to worry about anything strange popping up during a lesson! 

I currently use BookFlix weekly. My students enjoy the fiction & nonfiction text pairs.

We usually have good discussions after watching the nonfiction text.

I did not realize that there were lesson plans included. I am really looking forward to using them this school year.

Also, I post on Google classroom and I plan to intergrate Bookflix weekly on there for my students to read with their families.

Amy Glosh 4 months, 2 weeks ago

Students are asked to bring their devices with them to each library electives class. Additionally, we have added a link to BookFlix in our library google classroom to make it easy for students to access. 

One challenge I have is that students want to use the read-along feature, but we do not have enough headphones to accommodate all students. The rooms gets quite loud and confusing with different stories playing from different students devices. 

To counteract the noise issue, perhaps I could limit each table to ONE story and have the entire table read that ONE story--6 read-alongs versus 18 could be a win!

The variety of stories--truly something for everyone! 

Anne McDowell 3 months, 2 weeks ago

I utilize digital resources in my classroom a lot, so BookFlix will allow me to share even more with deeper understanding thanks to the additional resources. I share resources with colleagues often, so having BookFlix as an additional resource will be great!

Lily Blackburn 3 months, 1 week ago

Using Youtube for Read-Alouds. Now I am looking forward to trying a new prepared service focusing on the learning portion behind read alouds, and the emphasis on vocabulary and early learning literacy skills. 

-A challenge is I am personally not a huge fan of screen time in the classroom. 

-I will overcome this challenge by utilizing it in moderation.

-I like the simple layout, and it is an easy tool to learn no matter how experienced of a teacher you are

Tina Jarosz 2 months, 1 week ago

I will sometimes use youtube for digital books that I don't have.  So using bookflix would be similar by using technology.  I also do some reflections and questions on the story afterwards.  So using Bookflix will be similar but will give me more choices on things to do incorporate.

Angela Rogers 2 months ago

Students in the classroom have access to epic, which is books read aloud to them. Since they are familiar with that, I feel they will be able to use BookFlix. Since epic is not available after school hours, I am excited that they will have books available to them at home!