Reflecting on Your Learning

by INFOhio Staff 1 year, 11 months ago

Take the Using Technology with Early Learners class to learn more. 

Think about a child in your life. What was the last technology they used? What did they use it for? How would you change that interaction now based on what you have learned? Share your answers here. 

Samantha Cornell 1 year, 9 months ago

She is currently playing a game and listening to music while I do this training... She just got  a new device and is excited to listen to headphone with it for the first time.

She does a fair amount of tanigible book reading, audio book reading, and her device onlt has preapproved brain building apps on it. I should really make her go do something else for awhile though...

Gretchen Lawn 1 year, 6 months ago

I don't have a child in my life, but I have seen way too many parents use technology as a calming device. It is placed into a child's hands to heed off a temper tantrum or to give mommy a moment of peace. The kids were allowed to access whatever they wanted and often used it to find games, take pictures, or watch Cocomelon or other streaming shows. I think technology has its place, but should not be used as a soothing tool. Children need to find ways to self-soothe so they can do so once they enter the classroom. 

Victoria Lininger 1 year, 5 months ago

I teach in an integrated preschool classroom and I limit the amount of technology that the children use in the classroom.  When we do get out tablets, the children almost go into a trance and cannot focus on anything else other than using that tablet.  They have a hard time separating from the electronics and engaging in other classroom activities. 

After we have them out, they can be more hyped up and less likely to cooperate at times. I have used screen time as a reward and set a timer and that has gone ok.

We prefer to use real books over technology daily.

Leanna Falbo 1 year, 4 months ago

My own children are young adults. I would have to agree with Gretchen Lawn about children today, and how parents are using technology as a calming device. I would also agree with Gretchen's comment: "I think technology has its place, but should not be used as a soothing tool. Children need to find ways to self-soothe so they can do so once they enter the classroom."

Megan Ramsey 11 months, 1 week ago

The last technology my daughter used was to watch a cartoon on tv.  I am in the kitchen working, but I can hear what is going on in the show.  I agree that there is a time and place for most everything.  During the summer I tend to be more lax with technology because I also see the other experiences without or in conjunction to.  I know that this is just a short interval in the mad dash to play outside.

Emily de Villiers 1 month, 2 weeks ago

My son was reading a digital book checked out from the library before school today.  He knows he can only use tech for reading in the mornings and never is allowed to use tech as a soothing device.

Stephanie Blunt 1 month, 1 week ago

I have 1 adult son and a younger son amd daughter ( ages 20,11, and 6). My youngest children use technology for a variety of purposes: completing essays, homework assignments, playing Switch, Nintendo wii, Wii U, playing word games, practicing math, learning languages, video calling grandma, and so on...

I currently have set time limits,rating limits, and hours games can be used.We also have a mix of technologies/technology purposes from the media consumption pyramid.Even with games, some are played independently, and some we play as a family.

I guess an interaction I could change is, having more discussion about the activities my children are participating in independently.