Features of Explora Resources

by INFOhio Staff 1 year, 10 months ago
  1. Thinking about the students you work with, name at least two ways Explora can help you supplement content in your classroom. Name at least two features that will most appeal to older students based on what you learned from your quick glimpse at the resource.
  2. What is one question you have about the resource that you hope will be answered during the training?
  3. Think of a time when you used a website or online tool in your instruction. What did you like about using the digital resource? How was it different than using other resources in your teaching?
Gretchen Lawn 1 year, 6 months ago

1. I like that as a teacher, I can direct students to or find resources, but that students can navigate by themselves too.

2. What are the lesson planning materials like?

3. I like that this resource pulls from magazines, reference sources, etc. to give students a real look into navigating the internet to find trustworthy results. 

Fiona Casida 1 year, 6 months ago

1) The Topic Overview is a great feature because it offers a summary of the topic that gives students a basic understanding before delving into their research. They may find the topic was different than what they originally understood. This will be a useful tool as students are generating topics for their research papers. Students would also find the Category Browse helpful as it offers current topics, rather them relying on the traditional research topics. Showing the students the video "InfOhio Makes Research Easy with Explora" would provide educational information but also help them identify with a typical student wants to complete their work quickly and move on to more entertaining life events. The video shows that both can be done if they utilize robust tools, such as Explora.

2. How can students best find resources within their topic without pulling up articles that are not applicable? This happens often in a lot of database searches. I know keywords and filters are important, but maybe there are other options I'm not aware of?

3. Digital resources are an excellent part of instruction because students are able to view the tools along with me and/or they can look at them later. With all the filters and search tools, it is much easier to find information than using print resources.

Christine Wenning 1 year, 4 months ago

Hi Finoa!

I agree with your feelings on the Topic Overview.  I work with high school teachers when they are starting a research paper with their students to show them how to use library resources.  I would like to get into the classrooms a little bit earlier or just to make teachers aware of what a great topic choosing tool Explora could be with their students!  I have had to work with students who were given the choice to write a paper on "Anything".  That it so overwhelming for the kids!  Some of these topics are so weird and obscure, because they don't really know what they want to write about but have this idea of something they heard sometime from somewhere :)  I have spent a lot of time sitting with students helping them research and make resources work, when if we could have worked for just a second on choosing a good topic, the reserach process would have been so much easier and more enjoyable! 

Christine Wenning 1 year, 4 months ago

1.  I have been working with an American History teacher this year to build a library of primary sources to use along with their text book.  I think that Explora will be a great tool in finding those resources.  Explora's topic overview is also a great research starter that any teacher assigning a research paper could benefit from sharing with their students.  They often times have a hard time picking and limiting a topic.  Explora will provide students a jumping off point with more specific links within the Topic Overview to get them researching a topic that is more meaningful and interesting to them - hopefully creating a better paper!  My students will appreciate the ability to listen to their articles and the limiters on the side.

2.  I am very interested in primary sources.  These seem to be tough to find at times, especially when I am looking for a specific time period and don't have weeks to comb through resources, and want a reputable source - not just a Google Image Search.  I am hoping to become a little more saavy with my search in Explora to find what I am looking for.  I know that if I have trouble finding exactly what I want, the kids are having 10x more trouble and will resort to just picking anything that pops up on a open internet search regardless of the quality. 

3.  I use digital resources with my students all of the time.  The access is key.  I like using digital resources for research because our school is one to one with tech.  I know that every students can access any resource that I show them 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  They are also on their tech all of the time, learning to use it for more than entertainment and to see the value of tech as a learning tool in school and beyond in important.  

Rob Kaminski 1 year, 3 months ago

1. Students can research information by searching for specific topics, or student can explore topics that interest them by using the categories and topics on the main page.

2. How students can save articles of interest.

3. Interactive features such as listening or lexile options allow students with different needs to use the same digital resource.

Timothy Fuller 1 year, 1 month ago

1. My students can supplement content in my classroom with article information which is more focused on a topic or person and search effectively. The have quick access to topics and numerous articles

2. Ease of use to all students.

3. Using readworks is a great resource but it is limited in what I can access. Open web searches sometimes gets students in hot water with subject content.

Rachel Robson 6 months, 3 weeks ago
  1. Thinking about the PreK-2 students you work with, name at least two ways Explora for Grades PreK-5 can help you supplement content in your classroom. Or if you work with students in grades 3-5, name at least two features that will most appeal to them based on what you learned from your quick glimpse at the resource.

It has sources that students will understand and it is easy to find quality resources quickly without sifting through all of the unreliable sources on a google search. 

2. What is one question you have about the resource that you hope will be answered during the training?

Are there lessons that go along with the sources? 

3.Think of a time when you used a website or online tool in your instruction. What did you like about using the digital resource? How was it different than using other resources in your teaching?

I can easily share it with my students, I can access it quickly and go back to it again. It is more readily updated than a physical resource. 

Dwight Meyer 5 months, 1 week ago
  1. I like the fact that Explora compiles resources from so many databases so the hope is that it will be an excellent starting place for students working to narrow a project. My favorite feature is the orange badge and checkmark cluing researchers into the fact that the resource comes from a peer-reviewed journal. I also like the filtering options which will reduce the number of items presented based on choices including a preference for PDFs vs Online text. 

2. When I work with a new database, I want to see it in action. I want to learn by doing an exercise so perhaps an example of a good broad search that then can be narrowed by efficient filtering is my favorite way to see the features. 

3. I love the immediacy of digital resources. I want students to be able to think of a subject, narrow it, filter it, and get 2-5 good results. I like to demonstrate this process and demystify the technology so that participants can see that it is possible to work through the process and receive useful materials rapidly. Physical resources are tougher to transport. A PDF is more portable for me, and immediately filed when I save it.

Sam Appleby 1 month ago
  1. Thinking about the students you work with, name at least two ways Explora can help you supplement content in your classroom. Name at least two features that will most appeal to older students based on what you learned from your quick glimpse at the resource.

a. One way that I think I can use Explora to help supplement in my classroom is through the eBook High School Collection.  We are moving school buildings next school year and the space we are in will be considerably downgraded in size.  Using the eBook High School Collection, I can try and promote the checking out and use of books digitally to help make up for our size of the physical collection.

b.  I also think that I can use the Science Reference Center.  In my school building we are constantly looking to promote the Science Fair and student participation in that event.  I like the idea of being able to provide students with additional resources to help bolster their Science Fair projects and potentially moving on to the State level.  It's nice when the school building receies the Governor's Award and part of that is based up student Science Fair performance.  

I was interested in the Vocational and Career Collection.  I think provided students about information in this field is very important and sometimes overlooked.  However,  I did have a question as to how up to date that collection was.  Many times things can change very quickly and I want to make sure studentss are getting the right up to date information.  

3.  Think of a time when you used a website or online tool in your instruction. What did you like about using the digital resource? How was it different than using other resources in your teaching?

The thing that is so great about using online tools in the accessibility piece.  Phones are prohibited in my school district, but students are 1 to 1 with each student being issued a chromebook.  Even when at home students can access online tools via phone or personal devices.  This serves much better than having papers and worksheets or printouts get lost in a book bag or left somewhere.