Circulating class sets of novels

by Karin Eppert 2 years, 4 months ago

Does anyone circulate class sets for their English department?  Looking for tips and advice on how to best set this up.

Ruth Riley 2 years, 4 months ago

I circulate class sets of paperbacks for our English Department.  I have them cataloged as Literacy and set them up with a longer circulation period.  It works well.  In the past students would lose books and there was no accountability.  This eliminates this problem.  .  

Karin Eppert 2 years, 4 months ago

This sounds doable, thanks!  Where do you store all of them?

Tracy Varner 2 years, 4 months ago

I agree, with Ruth, Karin.  Catalog all the books and check them out individually.  I like her idea about setting them up with a different Item Group so you can have a customized loan period for the class sets.

Karon Lippincott 2 years, 4 months ago

We catalog them all. They  are kept in a bin in the language arts book room with an exrra scanner. ELA teachers have a shared how to doc on using mobile circ to check them out to their classes. It's worked great.  They have their own item type and an extended due date. We will runniverdues and work with classroom teachers to turn those into lost book bills (curriculum, not library).

Stefanie Fatzinger 2 years, 4 months ago

I just started doing this.  We have had some hiccups, but it has worked out really well.  The biggest issue is we are now cataloging all the books. They were simply numbered and inventoried previously.  I think the teachers like it better because it saves them the trouble of keeping track of the books.