Replacement for Dymo LabelWriter 450 for Spine Label Printing

by Tracy Varner 1 year, 3 months ago

Has anyone found a replacement for the now incredibly scarce and ridiculously priced Dymo 450 LabelWriters that many librarians use to print barcodes and spine labels?? 

When the new 550 models came out, Dymo announced that the 550 would only work with their NEW Dymo labels authenticated by a DRM chip.  The price for the remaining 450s ANYWHERE went through the roof (from $250 - $400).  So now no aftermarket labels and no fade-proof labels.

The concern is that Dymo labels fade over time and must be replaced periodically.  Many of the librarians I have supported use the 450 and purchase DuraReady No-Fade Labels (https://duraready.com/library/school/), which are fantastic.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations!

Tracy

Marianne Cramer 1 year, 3 months ago

Tracy,

I am using a Zebra TLP2824 Plus, it is a thermal transfer printer. We use the labels from Zebra. The advantage is that the labels are not fading. Most of the labels with the Dymo lasted about a year. We can't swear to this but we think thermal transfer is the answer/cure for fading labels.

Marianne Cramer

Tracy Varner 1 year, 3 months ago

Thank you, Marianne!  We found a company, DuraLabel, that had no-fade, thermal transfer labels you could use in the Dymo!  It was the best of both worlds. :-)

Hope all is well with you,
Tracy