ICoach 2023-2024 Post 9: Ohio Materials Matter Reviews

by Emily Rozmus 8 months, 2 weeks ago
  1. What subject areas in your building are up for curriculum review or adoption? Use Ohio Materials Matter Reviews to search for curricula that meet the criteria for high-quality. Share the curriculum your district or school uses or is considering adopting in the High-Quality Instructional Materials for Each Child Open Space group. 
  2. Use the Favorite feature to save the curricula that fit the needs of your building. Email them to your team or curriculum director.
  3. Schedule time to talk about the curricula and how they can help support your school's goals. 
Susan Ridgeway 5 months ago

From what I am told, this is done at a district level and from what I understand, next year will be new language arts adoption for 4th grade and they are looking at several different Publishers at this point. Ohio Media Matters Reviews list several publishers with out standing reviews that would definately work for our building. One is Into Reading by Houghton Mifflin Court. Another is My View Literacy by Savvas Learning Company. There is also Wonders by Mcgraw Hill Education. All have full reports on EdReports.org.

Adrienne Anderson 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I know Wonders is the newer curriculum in my bldg at the moment, but in my job this isnt something I have significant experience in or use of. So while i will always be supportive of my buliding's needs, this is something i would have to return to answer at a later date

Anne McDowell 4 months, 1 week ago

In the elementary level, our district uses Wonders for ELA and Go Math. Our district utilizes staff committees to review and select curricula. Resources like this will definitely be helpful in the future!

Dawn Ferrell 4 months, 1 week ago

Social Studies.  On the Ohio Material Matter Reviews there is pdf on EachChildOurFuture that can be used for the adoption of this topic, so our students can be challenged, prepared and empowered for their next steps in learning and concouring goals in life.

Lauren Rocco 4 months, 1 week ago

I dont think I am in the position to know what subject areas are up for curriculum review or adoption. I know my building uses Wonders, but I only know that because of my position before I worked in the library. They used Benchmark before that, I think. Other than that I'm not sure how to go about answering this topic.

Adrienne Byers 4 months, 1 week ago

Per our Instructional Coach, we have no up coming curriculum reivew or adoption. I looked at a few elementary ELA results, as we use Wonder and HMH, and favorited some to refer back to. I will talk with some of our teachers to show them this resource. 

Deborah Clayson-Hughes 4 months, 1 week ago

As support for my Librarians, I really don't know the answer to this question. I can see where I really do need time scheduled  to talk to them about this.

It looks as if Ohio Material Materials Reviews would give me an overview of alot of curriculum options

ASHANTI SMITH 4 months, 1 week ago

I am not sure the answer to this I will have to look further more into this and ask some of my building teachers.

Heather Sanders 4 months ago

Our district uses a wide range of materials. I teach at a middle school, and we use the following curriculum for Math and ELA: McGraw-Hill Wonders and HMH Go Math. I have been a member of the selection committee for curriculum in the past and I can see the value of the listed websites and resources shared. 

Natalie Hostutler 2 months, 4 weeks ago

Grades 6-12 ELA is up for curriculum review and adoption this year. Ohio Materials Matter Reviews and EdReports are already sites we use to vet curricula options to present to staff. We utilize a rubric founded in the Science of Reading to ensure materials that will be chosen are evidence-based and will offer strong tier one instruction for all students. 

Summer Lamp 2 months, 2 weeks ago
  1. Science 6-8. We use HMH which is one of the HGIM. I am not sure what they are considering right now as the commitee has not released that information and I am not on the committee.
  2. I will chat with our building representive to show her this review site and see how the curricula mentioned could support them in their decisions.
LillyAnne Tedesco 2 months, 1 week ago

The Akron Public Schools administration is recommending new English and reading curriculums for K-12 students that put equity and diversity 'front and center.' I am sharing Infohio.org multimodeal resources for the ELA incorporate a variety of resources, including print, digital, audio (and visual materials,Digital Collecction) utilizing multimedia contenet that will engaage students with diverse learning styles and preferences and provides for differentiated instruction. I am able to schedule time in my ELA PLC to talk about the curricula and what I can do to support the school's goals other than what I am already doing chosing titles with those tags for our Library.

Cassandra Rondinella 2 months, 1 week ago
  1. What subject areas in your building are up for curriculum review or adoption? Use Ohio Materials Matter Reviews to search for curricula that meet the criteria for high-quality. Share the curriculum your district or school uses or is considering adopting in the High-Quality Instructional Materials for Each Child Open Space group. 
    1. It could be Science, however, everything else was updated in the last 2 years.

Elizabeth Shirk 2 months ago
  1. What subject areas in your building are up for curriculum review or adoption? Use Ohio Materials Matter Reviews to search for curricula that meet the criteria for high-quality. Share the curriculum your district or school uses or is considering adopting in the High-Quality Instructional Materials for Each Child Open Space group. I will defintely use Materials Matter over the Summer. We have funds available for curriculum reviews/studies in my district.
  2. Use the Favorite feature to save the curricula that fit the needs of your building. Email them to your team or curriculum director. I will make a list for further review.
  3. Schedule time to talk about the curricula and how they can help support your school's goals. I will add this to my summer goals sheet.
Darlene Alaniz 2 months ago

I am not sure what subject areas are up for curriculum review or adoption as that is done at the district level.  They usually have a small group of teachers, administrators, curriculum director, etc. that review and make that decision.

Gus Farmakidis 1 month, 3 weeks ago
  2. Use the Favorite feature to save the curricula that fit the needs of your building. Email them to your team or curriculum director.
  3. Schedule time to talk about the curricula and how they can help support your school's goals.

The district makes these decisions dowtown, by departments. They can change year in and year out and I am not privy to that information. However as they change I can revisit this topic.

Amy Glosh 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I am not a teacher, so I am not involved in the development of curriculum or sharing any recommendations with a team or admin. It is helpful to have this information to recommend as a RESOURCE for those who might be involved in curriculum developement. 

Sarah Sherwood 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Our district just adopted new ELA materials to support Ohio's new reading laws. I reviewed the materials we chose to see what the site had to say!

Susan Mongold 1 month, 1 week ago

I am glad to know this resource exists and intend on sharing the information with building coaches.. 

Melissa Hudson 1 month ago

In my role, I don't have access to this information. However, Ohio Materials Matter Reviews is a great resource, and I will do what I can to spread the word about it. 

Linda Howell 2 weeks, 5 days ago

I am a support staff, a LRC Secondary Technician/ LRC Clerical in my buildings. I have no knowledge of what curriculum is used or needed on any subject.  These decisions are made by district administrators, way above any of my input.  I work under the direction of my immediate supervisors, the Librarian & Building Principal.  I support the needs of the library as needed and as I'm instructed.

Sam Appleby 2 weeks, 4 days ago

I believe that our biology department is up for book adoption this next school year.  My district typically builds book adoption teams that collaboratively look at a series of book options that have been chosen.  These teams make their selections largely based off the teams and teachers that will be using them.  

This does not align with Science, but my building has implemented a senior Capstone the last couple of years.  The teacher overseeing capstone is writing the curriculum themselves.  I would like to explore this feature with the Capstone Instructor and see if they might find it beneficial while also providing a member of my building some instruction on how to use the resources available to them.  

3.  Schedule time to talk about the curricula and how they can help support your school's goals. 

As stated above, I would like to schedule a time to look at capstone materials.  The teacher is out today, but I have emailed them and asked for available dates and times.