ICoach 2023-2024 Post 7: Definition

by Emily Rozmus 8 months, 2 weeks ago
  1. Choose the three research findings that you believe make high-quality instructional materials important for your students. What factors or experiences lead you to choose these three?
  2. Explore SETDA's Digital Instructional Materials Acquisition Policies for States website to learn how Ohio compares to other states in defining quality instructional materials. 
  3. Write your own definition of high-quality instructional materials using the links listed under What is the Definition of High-Quality?
Susan Ridgeway 5 months ago

1. Student outcomes increased when high uality instructional materials were used. I've worked in a variety of districts in two diffent states and I have found that even in those districts that are poorly funded, if there are high quality materials used, students are still able to reach and achieve higher standards in learning.

Teachers are spending 7-12 hours a week looking for supportive curriculum but it is unvetted and of poor quality. having collaborated with several teachers in the library, I am aware of how much time and money is spent on additional educational materials, but I know that they do not always meet state standards, or adress a variety of learning styles or have other deficiencies.

40% of enetring college freshman have to take remedial classes to get caught with their peers. I have spoken to past students who have told me that they needed classes in college, especially writing courses, because they could not pass freshman level classes. This is a problem that appears to be increasing in most colleges and universities.

2. I comapred Ohio to California, Alaska, New York and Florida. I see that Ohio matches everyone but Alaska in the definition of OER and digital materials. Ohio also has matched  New York in defining accessible education technologies and accessible education materials, Federal definitio. I have to say though that California and New York meet far more definitions than Ohio does and California has much lower funding for their schools than Ohio. 

3 My difiniton of high quality materials: They should be easily adaptable to a variety of learning levels and styles, and should meet Ohio state standards for instruction. They should also be available for remote learning and should have a format for IEP's. In addition, they need to be free of bias and be available for diverse learners.

Cassandra Rondinella 4 months, 4 weeks ago
  1. Choose the three research findings that you believe make high-quality instructional materials important for your students. What factors or experiences lead you to choose these three?
    1. Teachers know that quality instructional materials are essential for student success, but only 18% believe that the district-available materials align to standards (Zubrzycki, 2016).
    2. Teachers spend 7-12 hours a week searching for online instructional materials. Many of these are unvetted (Goldberg, 2016). 
    3. Schools with a higher proportion of students who qualify for free and reduced lunch have higher rates of teachers searching online for instructional materials (Opfer, Kaufman, and Thompson, 2016). 
    4. I see truth in all of the above 3 research findings.  I have personally witnessed teachers searching for high-quality instructional materials because of the lack of faith they have in district purchased curriculums.  
  2. Write your own definition of high-quality instructional materials using the links listed under What is the Definition of High-Quality?
    1. High Quality Instructional Materials must be measurable, align with state standards, be able to be used in not only in-person but in a remote and blended learning environment, and can be included in multiple learning environments.
Adrienne Anderson 4 months, 2 weeks ago

1: Student learning outcomes improved significantly when teachers use high-quality instructional materials. 

I belive teachers want and will use HQIM when given the option and flexibility to choose how they present them

2: Schools with a higher proportion of students who qualify for free and reduced lunch have higher rates of teachers searching online for instructional materials (Opfer, Kaufman, and Thompson, 2016). This corrolates to schools with a smaller budget, and lower socioeconomic population, who are often in need of HQIM that are free and accessible to teachers without needing complicated vetting for use

3: When students behind grade-level receive grade-appropriate assignments and experience stronger instruction, deeper engagement, and higher expectations, their achievement gaps narrow.  Being behind grade level can be a language barrier and having that deeper engagement means the students can demonstrate their skills more clearly

4: My definition of High Quality Instructional Materials.  " Content that has been vetted to align with state standards, that are current, relavent and accessable for all." 

Dawn Ferrell 4 months, 1 week ago
  • Student learning outcomes improved significantly when teachers use high-quality instructional materials 
  • 40% of college students without access to high-quality instructional materials are enrolled in remedial classes.
  • When students behind grade-level receive grade-appropriate assignments and experience stronger instruction, deeper engagement, and higher expectations, their achievement gaps narrow.

Compared to Ohio - TX and FL have the most guidelines for procedures Alaska and Hawaii have the least.

TX has the most state review Processes - Ohio, Alaska and Hawaii have none.

TX and Fl have the most funding and Ohio and Hawaii tie for the least funding.

My definition of high quality materials would include material that have varying levels and styles of learning, with interacitve games for testing their understanding of the material learned, and meet state standards for testing.

Anne McDowell 4 months, 1 week ago
    1. Student learning outcomes improved significantly when teachers use high-quality instructional materials (Jackson and Makarin. 2016-2017). 
    2. Teachers spend 7-12 hours a week searching for online instructional materials. Many of these are unvetted (Goldberg, 2016).
    3. Schools with a higher proportion of students who qualify for free and reduced lunch have higher rates of teachers searching online for instructional materials (Opfer, Kaufman, and Thompson, 2016). 
    4. I selected these three research findings because they are highly relatable. Having access to high quality instructional materials through INFOhio is imperative for districts. Teachers can rely on resources through INFOhio and know that they are going to be quality resources. 
  2. Explore SETDA's Digital Instructional Materials Acquisition Policies for States website to learn how Ohio compares to other states in defining quality instructional materials. 
  3. Write your own definition of high-quality instructional materials using the links listed under What is the Definition of High-Quality? High-Quality Instructional Materials are resources that are accessible to all students, reach a variety of levels, meet state standards, and are vetted/reviewed by credible sources. 
Deborah Clayson-Hughes 4 months, 1 week ago

Teachers spend 7-12 hrs/week looking for supportive material but  alot is unvetted. They believe that HQIM are important for student success but only 18% feel that district wide materials align to standards.

Students that qualify for free/reduced lunches have a higher rate of teachers searching online for Instructional materials.

40% of college students without access to HQIM are enrolled in remedial classes

HQIM are current and relevant content that is constistant w/Ohio Learning Standards. They are vetted by a reliable source  and provide challenging acedemic experiences for ALL students.

Lauren Rocco 4 months, 1 week ago

High quality materials are importand to students because they affect not only the students but also the choices  teachers make and the behaviors they engage in while teaching. Students living in poverty or students of color has less access to quality instructional materials. Teachers spend so much of their time looking for materials instead of being supplied with them.

I think having accessibility is key, materials must be free of bias to meet the needs of diverse learners. The students should be able to use materials and form their own opinion when they are learning something new. Materials must align with Ohio's learning standards, because then students will be able to gain the knowledge they need to thrive in their future education. Materials students are using should be current and relevant to engage students in creative opportunities. With some students if they are not interested in what is being taught they will want nothing to do with the topic, so if they find something current and interesting to them then they are more likely willing to learn more about it.

Adrienne Byers 4 months, 1 week ago
  • Instructional materials affect not only student learning, but also the choices teachers make and the behaviors they engage in while teaching (Chingos and Whitehurst, 2012).
  • Teachers know that quality instructional materials are essential for student success, but only 18% believe that the district-available materials align to standards (Zubrzycki, 2016).
  • When students behind grade-level receive grade-appropriate assignments and experience stronger instruction, deeper engagement, and higher expectations, their achievement gaps narrow.

I compared Ohio with Indiana, Kentuky, West Virginia and Michigan. Next to Michigan, Ohio has the least definitions of materials. The only one where Ohio was an outlier, is having a definition for accessible technologies - federal regulation.

My definition would meet state standards while being current and relevant, and be vetted by reliable sources. It would also need to be accessible to all. 

Heather Sanders 4 months ago

Choose the three research findings that you believe make high-quality instructional materials important for your students. What factors or experiences lead you to choose these three?

• When students behind grade-level receive grade-appropriate assignments and experience stronger instruction, deeper engagement, and higher expectations, their achievement gaps narrow.(TNTP, 2018)

• Instructional materials affect not only student learning, but also the choices teachers make and the behaviors they engage in while teaching (Chingos and Whitehurst, 2012).

• Teachers spend 7-12 hours a week searching for online instructional materials. Many of these are unvetted (Goldberg, 2016). 

I selected the following research findings because they had the most impact on how I define and use high-quality instructional materials. 

I have explored the SETDA's Digital Instructional Materials Acquisition Policies for States website.

Write your own definition of high-quality instructional materials using the links listed under What is the Definition of High-Quality?

My definition is resources that align to current grade-level state standards while integrating independently, free from bias learning, inquiry, engagement, and differentiation.

Natalie Hostutler 2 months, 4 weeks ago
  • Teachers know that quality instructional materials are essential for student success, but only 18% believe that the district-available materials align to standards (Zubrzycki, 2016).

1. I chose the above research findings because they are applicable to the student population I work with. Teachers also have a challenging time opening up to new, HQIM even though it is evidence-based and proven to work. 

2. Ohio defines their HQIM as "any book or book substitute that a pupil uses as a consumable or non consumable text, text substitute, or text supplement in a particular class or program in the school the pupil regularly attends." While Ohio views HQIM in one manner, other states such as Florida, define it as "For purposes of state adoption, the term “instructional materials” means items having intellectual content that by design serve as a major tool for assisting in the instruction of a subject or course. These items may be available in bound, unbound, kit, or package form..." It's interesting that each state has their own definition of HQIM. 

3. My definition would meet state standards while being current and relevant, and be vetted by reliable sources. It would also need to be accessible to all students and educators.

Summer Lamp 2 months, 2 weeks ago

1. In PLCs teachers are consistently complaining how district materials don't support the standards well. Our building is 100% free and reduced lunch so we fall in the category of teachers searching for online unstructional materials, which is then frightening how many of the online resources teachers are spending 7-12hrs looking for are actually not vetted or trustworthy.

• Schools with a higher proportion of students who qualify for free and reduced lunch have higher rates of teachers searching online for instructional materials (Opfer, Kaufman, and Thompson, 2016). 
  • Teachers spend 7-12 hours a week searching for online instructional materials. Many of these are unvetted (Goldberg, 2016). 

2. It is interesting to see how Ohio defines quality instructional materials differently then some states and the same as others. It makes me wonder how long it would take for all states to be on the same page with HQIM.

3. High-quality instructional materials are vetted by a trusted source using research-based strategies, align with Ohio Learning Standards, and are relevant and engaging to all students.

LillyAnne Tedesco 2 months, 2 weeks ago

1. It has a positive impact on student achievement. Int's been my experience, that well designed instructional materials keep students engaged.

2. There are a variety of resources that provide for differenciated instruction and learning.  It does this by providing adaptability either in lexile levels, font size, or other visual resources.

3.  Quality of instructional materials is linked to teacher professional develpment that can be easily adapted and translated to classroom assignments. Good resources enable teachers to implement effective teaching strategies that align with the standards and can be easily adapted to classroom instruction.

My definition of high quility insructional materials are resources that are current, align with the state standards and can be readily integrated into present instruction.

Elizabeth Shirk 2 months ago
  • A top-ranked math program used in 4th and 5th grades increased student achievement gains by more than 3 percentiles (Kane, Owens, Marinell, Thal, and Staiger, 2016).
  • Student learning outcomes improved significantly when teachers use high-quality instructional materials (Jackson and Makarin. 2016-2017).

**I think that socioeconomic impact has alot to do with what materials we are able to use and provide to our students.

What I found interesting is that many states have adopted Digital learning plans, but Ohio does not. That is surprising to me because technology is used daily and to not have it embedded into a curriculum seems like it puts our students behind other states. 

1. Write your own definition of high-quality instructional materials using the links listed under What is the Definition of High-Quality?

High-quality instructional materials play a crucial role in supporting effective teaching and learning by providing educators with the resources they need to facilitate meaningful learning experiences and help students achieve academic success.

Melissa Jarvis 2 months ago

It is important for students to have access to high quality instruction materials because their use can significantly improve student learning outcomes. Many students are required to take remedial coursework upon entering college to make up for educational defecits. The combination of quality instruction, HQIM, and effective teaching style can help level the playing field for disadvantaged, low income students and result in improved academic performance. My definition of high quality instruction materials are those materials that are engaging, accessible, flexible, differentiated and aligned to standards.

Darlene Alaniz 2 months ago

Student learning outcomes improved significantly when teachers use high-quality instructional materials. Teachers spend 7-12 hours a week searching for online instructional materials.  **Schools with a higher proportion of students who qualify for free and reduced lunch have higher rates of teachers searching online for instructional materials (Opfer, Kaufman, and Thompson, 2016).   High-Quality Instructional Materials are resources that are vetted by credible sources, accessible, differentiated, and meet state standards. 

Melissa Hudson 1 month, 3 weeks ago

The three research findings I found most relevant in the importance of high-quality instructional materials:

• Schools with a higher proportion of students who qualify for free and reduced lunch have higher rates of teachers searching online for instructional materials (Opfer, Kaufman, and Thompson, 2016).

My own definition of high-quality instructional merials:

• They are vetted by a trusted source and not biased against students who are experiencing poverty, and they are not biased against students who are not white.
  • They allow teachers to meet students at their own level of learning needs, which means they are adaptive and flexible.
  • They provide students with opportunities for creativity and teamwork.
Gus Farmakidis 1 month, 3 weeks ago

1a. Teachers know that quality instructional materials are essential for student success, but only 18% believe that the district-available materials align to standards (Zubrzycki, 2016).

1b. Instructional materials affect not only student learning, but also the choices teachers make and the behaviors they engage in while teaching (Chingos and Whitehurst, 2012).

1c. Teachers spend 7-12 hours a week searching for online instructional materials. Many of these are unvetted (Goldberg, 2016). 

2. I compared 5 states across the database of topics. Including Pennsylvania, Indiana, Illinois, West Virginia, and Michigna 

3. High quality materials to me should be materials that are adaptable for differentiation, while focused on state standards  while also meeting the needs of all students.

Amy Glosh 1 month, 3 weeks ago

1, The research findings I chose are listed below with the factors that guided those choices: 

• Teachers spend 7-12 hours a week searching for online instructional materials. Many of these are unvetted (Goldberg, 2016). This is a lot of time that teachers' do not really have. If they could free up 7-12 hours per week, it feels like they could focus more on those teaching activities that are making a difference in their classrooms. 
  • Teachers know that quality instructional materials are essential for student success, but only 18% believe that the district-available materials align to standards (Zubrzycki, 2016). This feels like more of a marketing issue to me and one that could be easily addresses with better communications. 
  • The lack of quality instructional materials has an impact on student learning. This impact does not end once students graduate (TNTP, 2018). This just emphasizes how vital it is to utilize high-quality materials from the start--the impact is clearly critical! 

2.   I compared Ohio with neighboring states, PA and MI. Ohio has a definition which I find reassuring and a little surprising (why don't MI and PA?). 

3.  My own definition for HQ instructional materials is that they are engaging (relevant and current).  If they can't connect with the material, then I have lost them. Additionally, I appreciate the ability to personalize materials to varying levels--not everyone if on the same level and the ability to customize will, again, allow me to engage my scholars. 

Sarah Sherwood 1 month, 3 weeks ago

1. - Digital instructional materials should be vetted by a trusted source and include research-based strategies.

-The materials should be available in a variety of mediums to help teachers meet students at their current level of learning.

-Materials should be current and relevant and engage students in creative opportunities, both in individual and collaborative learning.

Flexibility, problem solving, and collaboration are important parts of our teaching. Materials should support that. 

2. South Carolina seems to have more policies in place for the review and adoption of different formats of materials. 

3. High quality instructional materials should support college and career readiness, be flexible in the delivery (in person, online), and have options for differentiation without sacrificing content. 

Susan Mongold 1 month, 1 week ago

The lack of quality instructional materials has an impact on student learning. This impact does not end once students graduate (TNTP, 2018).

• Students living in poverty and students of color have less access to quality instructional materials. 
  • 40% of college students without access to high-quality instructional materials are enrolled in remedial classes.

Students at the I Promise School come to us in the lower 25 percentiles in reading and math. They are at least two grade levels behind in reading. It is our mission to get them "on level" by the time they leave us in the eighth grade. If we want them to be ready for high school and beyond, access to High Quality Instructional Materials is essential for success.

I compared Ohio with four states that require licensed media specialists - Alabama, Kentucky, Arkansas, and Oklahoma. Kentucky was a stand out with funding and guidelines.

3. Write your own definition of high-quality instructional materials using the links listed under What is the Definition of High-Quality?

Vetted, peer-reviewed instructional recources that align with state standards and can be used in-person or remotely.

Ariel Hakim 3 weeks, 3 days ago

Instructional materials affect not only student learning, but also the choices teachers make and the behaviors they engage in while teaching (Chingos and Whitehurst, 2012); Teachers spend 7-12 hours a week searching for online instructional materials. Many of these are unvetted (Goldberg, 2016); Schools with a higher proportion of students who qualify for free and reduced lunch have higher rates of teachers searching online for instructional materials (Opfer, Kaufman, and Thompson, 2016). 

The only real possible conclusion here is that teachers often don't know where to easily find high-quality instructional materials. 

Definition: High-quality instructional materials are ones that align with Ohio's learning standards, are free of bias, are current and relevant, are research-based, are free, and adaptable to learning stages, styles, and methods.

Linda Howell 3 weeks ago

Choose the three research findings that you believe make high-quality instructional materials important for your students. What factors or experiences lead you to choose these three?

1. When teahers don't have access to great materials they hunt for them online.  Often leading to inconsistent qualitly that impacts low-income students and students of color the most.

2. Inconsistent access to high-quality content impacts student learning in schools across the country.  In a single school year, the average student spends 581 of 720 available hours on assignments that are not high-quality.

3. When students behind grade-level receive grade appropriate assignments and experience stronger instruction, deeper engagement, and higher expectations, their achievement gaps narrow.

I chose these three becase they show the impact that both low and high quality instructional material  has on students. 

Explore SETDA's Digital Instructional Materials Acquisition Policies for States website to learn how Ohio compares to other states in defining quality instructional materials.  Done

Write your own definition of high-quality instructional materials using the links listed under What is the Definition of High-Quality?

High quality materials should be from a trusted source in a variety of mediums to meet all students needs.  It should align with the Ohio Learning Standards and it should be up to date and current.  I should be able to engage students who are remote learners or students with IEP's.  Material should be differentiating, engaging, accessible and should be able to be used by both teachers and students.

Sam Appleby 2 weeks, 4 days ago

1. a. 

1. Teachers spend 7-12 hours a week searching for online instructional materials. Many of these are unvetted (Goldberg, 2016). 

To everyone time is extremely valuable.  Teachers are constantly trying to juggle multiple things at once in order to maximize their time available.  With proper training on using some of these research materials some of that time can be saved and align with standards.

b.Students that qualify for free/reduced lunches have a higher rate of teachers searching online for Instructional materials.

Coming from a district in which all students receive free or reduced lunches this stuck out to me.  I'm unsure as to why exactly that correlates to teachers searching online for Instructional materials. 

c. When students behind grade-level receive grade-appropriate assignments and experience stronger instruction, deeper engagement, and higher expectations, their achievement gaps narrow.

Students that are behind grade level often lack confidence or self esteem.  Helping to give them positive feedback and build a sense of ability can be a huge motivator for students and help raise their expectations.  

2.I find the disconnect between states on the defintition of HQIM very interesting.  It just seems like there is such a gap between states in terms of what qualifies as a HQIM.  Am I biased to Ohio because that is what I know, or is what I believe to be a HQIM actually High Quality?

3.I believe that High Quality Instructional Materials must meet State standards.  In the end the goal is to help students towards graduation and that must align with those standards.  However, these standards can be meet through a variety of instructional materials and lessons can be delivered with differentiatoin in order to meet specific student needs.