ICoach 2023-2024 Post 6: Web Tool or Initiative Class

by Emily Rozmus 8 months, 2 weeks ago
  1. Which web tool/initiative class did you complete? What made you decide to complete this class?
  2. What features of the web tool are most appealing to students? To educators? To parents?/How is the initiative important to supporting student learning?
  3. One of your co-workers has approached you in the hall for help with a lesson. Write two to three sentences you would use to explain why they should use the INFOhio web tool or initiative to support student learning.
Adrienne Anderson 5 months, 2 weeks ago

I used " Reading on the screen"  Bc i am working with k-5 students, the ability to read and comprehend from the screen is vital. A lot of testing is done digitally and this skill is critical for success. The children are always more interested in web tools that look and feel like games, so "edutainment " is a marker of how successful a tool is going to be with the students.  My interaction with parents is significantly smaller but any chance to pla with their childrens with a learning bent, is good.

"I recommend you use the resources in the educator's section of info ohio, they have core curriculum lesson plans and resources all in one place that are going to be a good fit for your class."

Cassandra Rondinella 4 months, 4 weeks ago
  1. Which web tool/initiative class did you complete? What made you decide to complete this class?
    1. Using Technology with Early Learners
    2. I took a fascination in one of the courses that I took last year about the effects of screen time on learners and I felt this could be something else to expand that learning.
  2. What features of the web tool are most appealing to students? To educators? To parents?/How is the initiative important to supporting student learning?
    1. This is more for teachers and parents than students.  This would be a good course for high school students studying in the Early Childhood Education Program.
    2. This is a way to remind educators in a post-COVID Covid Online Learning World that everything online isn't a magical fix and that we have developmental milestones we have to remember to honor in a child's learning.
    3. This is a great resource to teach parents what is the good and bad of screentime for younger kids.
    4. See number 2
  3. One of your co-workers has approached you in the hall for help with a lesson. Write two to three sentences you would use to explain why they should use the INFOhio web tool or initiative to support student learning.
    1. This is a great resource in that covers many of the different resources that are good for kids as well as the benefits and weaknesses of online learning and screen time for students,
Dawn Ferrell 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Bookflix - students enjoy books that read to them.

1. What features of the web tool are most appealing to students? To educators? To parents?/How is the initiative important to supporting student learning?

The ease of searching and amount of books to chose from.  The ability to test ones knowlege and understanding of the book that was read through fun games and testing.

1. One of your co-workers has approached you in the hall for help with a lesson. Write two to three sentences you would use to explain why they should use the INFOhio web tool or initiative to support student learning.

You can send a link out to the class and generate a lesson plan in the application.  It tests their knowlege and understanding of the topic chosen.

Hanh Nutter 4 months, 2 weeks ago

1. Reading on the screen Grade K - 5. 

2. This more useful for teachers, parents than for student.

3. This is a great resource. 

Lauren Rocco 4 months, 1 week ago

I completed Reading on the Screen because I work with K- 5th grade. Kids today might know how to navigagte digital content for entertainment, but they might not know how for learning. Bringing children into this new way of learning is critical in creating thinkers who can comprehend digital content to understand what they might be reasearching or learning about what is going on in today's world. I would tell a co-worker that this tool is a great resource for creating lesson plans that incorporate practices in reading instruction.

Anne McDowell 4 months, 1 week ago
  1. Which web tool/initiative class did you complete? Early Learning Portal What made you decide to complete this class? I enjoy working with young students and wanted to learn more about the resources that are available to help support early learners
  2. What features of the web tool are most appealing to students? To educators? There are a lot of SEL resources for educatiors. Our staff is always looking for additional support to help their students. This will be a great resource for them to utilize. To parents? I like that they had options for apps as well as websites for families to utilize. Direct links make items easy to access. How is the initiative important to supporting student learning? This helps support students at their level as well as reaching family members to help spread learning home. 
  3. One of your co-workers has approached you in the hall for help with a lesson. Write two to three sentences you would use to explain why they should use the INFOhio web tool or initiative to support student learning.Educators should use the Early Learning Portal because it is an effective way to reach students at varying levels. They can extend learning and provide additional support as needed in fun and engaging ways. I would encourage educators to use this resource because it is a nice way to connect with families to extend learning. 
Adrienne Byers 4 months, 1 week ago

I chose Reading on the Screen because I work with K-5. I think the students like when learning resources are presented in a game type format. For educators and parents, the access to digital information is a great tool whether at home or not. I would recommend co-workers to look into the resources and lessons available in the educator tools. 

ASHANTI SMITH 4 months, 1 week ago

World Books Kids. I use it a lot with students and wanted to further my knowledge. The students love the articles, pictures and videos. The features of the corresponding curriculum and also the ability to print out the lessons. Parents can work with their children on researching different topics. I would explain how it has articles pictures and videos correpsonding to the subject matter and also the ability to print out lessons. 

I completed IWonder. Its easy to navigate and helps focus the students direction.

I would suggest a co-worker to use practicing english ( we have a large amount of students that english is a second language.) then go to "free rice" a word game the students can use. It covers vocabulary and grammar.

Heather Sanders 4 months ago

1. Which web tool/initiative class did you complete? What made you decide to complete this class? I selected the IWonder web tool. I wanted to complete this class because it has a wide range of applications for the middle school grades. I found it very beneficial to be trained, and assist other teachers with this helpful resource. 

2. What features of the web tool are most appealing to students? The website and resources are easy to use and locate. It is question/inquiry based, which is very appealing for students.  To educators? Too many options to name them all here, but as an educator I love the career application piece. It is somewhat difficult to find a student-friendly career application guide and resources. This provides a wealth of knowledge. To parents?/How is the initiative important to supporting student learning? Children are engaged and responsible for their own learning, which is important in teaching and learning independence.  

3. One of your co-workers has approached you in the hall for help with a lesson. Write two to three sentences you would use to explain why they should use the INFOhio web tool or initiative to support student learning. The IWonder portal has many options for classroom use, as well as for use in our STEAM initiatives. Furthermore, this website has a large range of activities for our elective courses (band, choir, digital art, technology, financial literacy, etc..) and could also be used for our student clubs.

Elizabeth Shirk 2 months, 4 weeks ago

I chose Reading on the Screen because I work mainly with with k-5 students. Personally I feel like my own children are on a screen alot and we use screens at school for testing and almost daily practice. It is our jobs as educators in this century to familiarize ourselves and our students to use digital tools. Anytime we can make our lessons digital I think is a good thing. It is certainly what most students prefer and enjoy. 

I would recommend using INFOhio to colleagues because of the ease of use. For teachers and students. Also, having digital resources and lesson plans that are FREE is absolutely amazing!

Natalie Hostutler 2 months, 4 weeks ago

1. I took the grades 9-12 Digital Content Learning: ISearch for Inquiry class because I work primarily with secondary students and credible search engines are a much needed resource. 

2. ISearch offers such a wide range of topics and resources, any student or educator can use it for credible research. It's a great piece of mind for anyone within an academic setting to know that the results of any search are reliable. The limiting features are a great way to narrow down larger questions/inquiries, hopefully leading students to what they need. 

3. ISearch is a tool that should be used in any secondary classroom when research is involved. It's an easy search engine to maneuver in and all results are reliable and credible. 

LillyAnne Tedesco 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I chose to complete the GO! Ask Act class as it aligns directly with the IB curriculum, addressing the requirements of an extended essay.  The course offers targeted preparation through an eas-to-follow research guide that students, educators, and parents would find appealing, emphasizing curcial skills like efffective inquiry, information synthesis, and analytical thinking.  I believe this class offers teachers valuable guidance and support tailored to the specific needs of students facing the graduation rquirement in the IB program as well as other Academies at Firestone CLC.

Summer Lamp 2 months, 2 weeks ago
  1. iSearch for Inquiry. We are moving to more inquiry based learning projects and I would like to support that in the LRC.
  2. This is another research tool students can utilize in their classes. Educators and students will like the citation feature. Parents can help students with research at home. This resource is important as it filters information for students to allow for more accurate research.
  3. This resource will help provide vetted and accuarate resources articles, videos, etc that will support research in your class. Students can utilize the citation feauture to make a works cited page. 
Angela Rogers 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Which web tool/initiative class did you complete? What made you decide to complete this class?

I completed Reading on the Screen because I work with K-4 students. 

One of your co-workers has approached you in the hall for help with a lesson. Write two to three sentences you would use to explain why they should use the INFOhio web tool or initiative to support student learning.

I would tell teachers and parents that this is a great resource to read and learn about how we can best help students when working with online material. It is very prevalent in today's classrooms, and there is a wealth of informaiton here to make sure students are success while reading online.

Melissa Jarvis 2 months ago

Any web tool that supplies additional resources is appealing to educators. It is nice to have a tool that is accessible to parents and students in order to promote continued learning and growth when the student is at home. 

Darlene Alaniz 2 months ago

I chose Reading on the Screen since I really wanted to review the latest data. Students are online a good portion of their educational day.  

I would say this resource is best for teaching teachers and parents how to show students how to read/learn/comprehend online.

Beth Clute 2 months ago

I choose a bookflix. I enjoy picking a title and have the younger students get on and find it.

Melissa Hudson 1 month, 4 weeks ago

I completed the Reading on the Screen class. I decided to complete this class, because it is very relevant to my goals in aiding students to access digital resources.

I think students will benefit greatly from learning to use annotation while they read digital sources. I think students will also benefit from teachers who engage with their students while the students are reading digitally, such as guiding students on a projector while students read digitally and take notes digitally. 

I think educators will find this course on Reading on the Screen to be relevant to their goals in helping students master skills in reading digitally, while overcoming the challenges of reading on a screen such as brain fatigue, getting distracted, and multi-tasking. 

With relevant fliers provided to educators on infohio, parents will benefit from having the exact information they need to encourage digital readers from all grade levels at home.

This initiative supports student learning immensely, as digital reading makes up such a large part of the reading students currently do. Most school testing is now on a screen, and so is a lot of the research students are doing.

If a coworker approached me in the hall for help with a lesson, I would definitely point them to the articles on digital reading provided in this initiative. I would tell my coworker that digital reading skills (as they already know) are crucial to all students for research, school tests, and even recreational reading.

Sarah Sherwood 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I did iSearch for Librarians. I know quite a bit about iSearch, but I like to introduce it to our 3rd graders as they transition from Fetch when they move on to our next building. 

Fetch is great for a quick search. Actually that's what I use when I just need to see if we have something, but let me show you what all iSearch can do!