ICoach 2023-2024 Post 5: Digital Resource Class

by Emily Rozmus 8 months, 2 weeks ago
  1. Which digital resource class did you complete? What made you decide to complete this class?
  2. What features of the resource are most appealing to students? To educators? To parents?
  3. One of your co-workers has approached you in the hall for help with INFOhio resources. Write two to three sentences you would use to explain why they should use this resource to support student learning.

1: k-5 bc these are the students i am working with daily

2: The students like bookflix the best of all of the choices. the older students like the games that are spread through the different titles

3: They have multiple supports to reach different types of learners. You can facilitate small, self lead, group learning with the ability to annotate in google so the students can show you what they are taking from the lesson.  

Tiffany Simonson 6 months ago
  1. I completed PebbleGo Next because I wanted to learn how to use it better so that I can show students how to use it in LRC and inform teachers how to use it for their own classrooms.
  2. I think the interface and the games are most appealing to students, the interface and multitude of resources including citations are appealing to educators, and the ease of use is appealing to parents.  
  3. It's well organized and student friendly.  It has information, games, and other resources available and it's fun!  
Cassandra Rondinella 4 months, 4 weeks ago
  1. Which digital resource class did you complete? What made you decide to complete this class?
    1. I completed BookFlix.
    2. I was already familiar with the resource but wanted to brush up on my learning.
  2. What features of the resource are most appealing to students? To educators? To parents?
    1. I think it would be more appealing to the younger grades, however, I feel that our students would appreciate the captions and the read-aloud options.
    2. The teachers would appreciate the lesson plans.
    3. Our parents wouldn't get it as they barely read in their native languages let alone understand what they would be looking at in this resource.
  3. One of your co-workers has approached you in the hall for help with INFOhio resources. Write two to three sentences you would use to explain why they should use this resource to support student learning.
    1.  This is a great resource for our ELL students as it pairs fiction videos and nonfiction ebooks and introduces the English language to our students as well as allowing the content to be absorbed by our newcomers who are also learning the Western Culture.
Dawn Ferrell 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I did K-5 since I work with these grades

All the students tend to like the educational games. This usually catches their attention.

Infohio has numerous resouces they can use that will help with students on all learning levels.  They have interactive games and books that can read to them, they are also able to translate books to their native language.

Emily Rozmus 4 months, 3 weeks ago

Hi Dawn, 

K-5 is a Pathway, a collection of classes. Which class(es) did you complete?

Thanks,

Emily

Dawn Ferrell 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I completed bookflix so I can become familiar with what it has to offer to students, parents and staff.

For students and teachers and parents it would be a fun way to learn.  They can do the story telling and book option.  They can have the book read to them if they struggle with english and or reading.  From there they can test their knowlege/understanding of the book by playing the interactive games that allow you to answer quesitons about the book.  I think it would be more beneficial if they had the ability to listen to books in peoples native language, but it is still a great option for reading and comprehension.

There are many topics to choose from, and various books linked to each topic.  It has games to engage comprehension and memory recall which will is a helpful skill that can applied through many aspects of life.

Beth Clute 2 months ago

This was also my choice. Itt made sense because those are the grades I work with.

Hanh Nutter 4 months, 2 weeks ago

1. Grade K - 5 I complete World Book Student Kids, PebbleGo Next.

2. I think the interface and the games are most appealing to students, the interface and multitude of resources including citations are appealing to educators, and the ease of use is appealing to parents.  

3. It's well organized and student friendly.  It has information, games, and other resources available and it's fun!  

Deborah Clayson-Hughes 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I completed the Points of View Reference Center class. I liked the idea it was updated frequently with current topics.  I feel that my learners are drawn to the "newest, latest" and this would be a place they could find that. It is very user friendly and even gives access to graphs and charts. 

Ebsco Connect is also available through Points of View Reference Center to find additional instructor support

If you are not using Infohio, you are missing out on so much! Points of View Reference Center is a wonderful place to find resource materials for any project. It is easy to use, provides current information, and gives you access to EBSCO CONNECT to help with added support. I'm available to show you how it works now if you have a minute?

Lauren Rocco 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I chose to complete Pebble Go Next. I liked this one because it is geared towards third through fifth graders and I really enjoy working with this age group. I think that Pebble Go Next has a lot to offer students, eduacators, and parents because it is visually applealing, easy to navigate, and has so many eBooks. I wold tell my co-worker that this is a great resource because of the topics it covers. Pebble Go Next even has games and a question of the day to encourage discussions and sharing of facts found.

Anne McDowell 4 months, 1 week ago

I completed BookFlix. I utilized this resource years ago and wanted to see any changes and updates so I could share the resource with my colleagues. 
What features of the resource are most appealing to students? To educators? To parents? Easy format, accessible anywhere (home/school), comprehension checks, extension activities, lesson plans, etc!
One of your co-workers has approached you in the hall for help with INFOhio resources. This resource is helpful because it contains fiction and nonfiction resources for educators. 

Adrienne Byers 4 months, 1 week ago

1. I chose World Book Kids because I am somewhat familiar with it. 

2. The "read aloud" feature is nice for students struggling to read words they are not yet familiar yet. I like the webquests for educators, and i think parents would like how much information is available to their children. 

3. World Book Kids offers read alouds for beginner readers. It also offers a wide range of topics and subjects from science to ELA to Social Studies/History. 

ASHANTI SMITH 4 months, 1 week ago

World Book Kids, I use it often in the LRC and wanted to learn more about it.

Students love the articles, pic, and games. Educators. love the learning resources that can be used for reports. Parents love the learning tools kids can use.

It an easy to navigate website that offers news articles, pictures, and videos about different topics from animals to geography. The also have learning games for students to play.

Heather Sanders 4 months ago
  1. Which digital resource class did you complete? What made you decide to complete this class? I completed "The World Almanac for Kids" because it was a very comprehensive and useful tool for grades 6,7,8. Currently, I teach at a middle school and this is a tool that will be valued by all teachers. 
  2. What features of the resource are most appealing to students? Colorful, creative, and easy to navigate. Students love to play games, which is a featured tab! The articles appeal to middle level learners, and many resources to help with homework/projects. To educators? The alignment to standards, the ease of use, and the ability for all students to be engaged. To parents? Easy to use at home, a wide-range of grade levels can use this quality resource, and it does not charge a subscription fee. 
  3. One of your co-workers has approached you in the hall for help with INFOhio resources. Write two to three sentences you would use to explain why they should use this resource to support student learning. The World Almanac for Kids features so many ways for students to be engaged in all subject areas. The "featured topics" on the home page will help guide you in the right direction for your subject area. The alignment to standards is also clearly stated, as well as the ability to pick from print articles to video resources. 
Angela Rogers 3 months, 3 weeks ago

I completed the BookFlix digital resource class because I felt it would be most valuable to the students.

The students are going to love the animated stories and how they come to life. The colors and sounds on BookFlix are appealing to a wide range of learners. Educators and parents will love BookFlix, as it gives easy, free access to many fiction and nonfiction stories.

I know that many teachers like to use epic, but it is not available for free outside of the school day. So I would be sure to let them know that BookFlix is always free for students to use. I would also let them know about the awesome lesson plans that come with each book pairing, making it easy to align to the standards they are teaching in class. 

LillyAnne Tedesco 3 months, 1 week ago

1. As a  high school librarian I decided to complete the World Book Advanced Online class to strengthen my ability to provide students with comprehensive and authoritative research materials. This resource offers advanced features suitable for high school-level research projects.

2. For students, the most appealing features of World Book Advanced Online include its large collection of reliable and up-to-date information across various subjects, interactive multimedia resources, and advanced search capabilities.Educators benefit from the resource's ability to provide curated content suitable for lesson planning, research assignments, and differentiation strategies. Parents can appreciate the resource's accessibility and credibility, enabling them to have confidence in their child's ablity to complete assignments.

3. When assisting a co-worker with INFOhio resources, I would emphasize that World Book Advanced Online offers a wealth of reliable information curated for high school-level research that is user-friendly.

Natalie Hostutler 3 months, 1 week ago

1. I chose to explore "Using Explora for Grades 6-8 and Explora for Grades 9-12" and I decided this because as a coach, I'll work with teaching students and teachers how to locate credible information for research.

2. Features most appealing: saving directly to Google Drive or Classroom, built in citation features, text-to-speech, advanced searching.

3. Explora is a credible, reliable tool for locating credible research. It's easy to use for students and you alike and it helps them not only research, but organize and cite their information. 

Elizabeth Shirk 3 months ago

1. I completed BookFlix because I work mainly with K-5 students and I think the idea of having an online library is wonderful for students.

2. I think being able to have an entire library at your fingertips is the most beneficial feature for parents, educators, and students. I will use it for my early finishers.

3. Bookflix is beautifully categorized and and easy for students to find books on any topic. There are also movies that support the book topics and a quiz. Super easy to use website for students. 

Summer Lamp 2 months, 2 weeks ago
  1. Explora 6-8 and 9-12- I have heard about it and breifly looked it over, but this allowed be to understand how to use it in or LRC and recommend usage to our staff.
  2. For students it seems like it could be very helpful for research and notes. For teachers it seems easy to implement. For parents I think it could be a easier way to support research at home. The read aloud feature is one definitely needed with our lower level readers.
  3. This is a wonderful resource for research in your class. Students can annotate and share their findings with you easily. The accessibly features also will support all learners in your classes.
Darlene Alaniz 2 months, 2 weeks ago
  1. I completed BookFlix. I really like the pairing of a nonfiction and a fiction book. 
  2. I think it would most appealing to elementary students but I also have used it with multiple disability students and they love the read aloud. Teachers would like the pairing as well with similar topics as well as the quizes available at the end of the unit. Parents would like how engaging the platform is.
  3. I am going to share this with the ELL teachers for sure.
Melissa Jarvis 2 months ago

I completed Pebble Go Next, WorldBook Kids and Bookflix. The younger students love Bookflix and grades 3-5 really benefit from learning how to navigate WorldBook and Pebble. They are resources readily available to them to assist with research. If approached I wopuld definitely promote WorldBook and Pebble as research tools to assist with biographies and animal reports.

Melissa Hudson 2 months ago

So far, I have completed classes for:

Bookflix

World Book Early Learning

Explora for K-5

Highlights Library

World Book Kids

Pebble Go Next

I am planning to complete all classes in the K-5 Learning Pathway, so when I am finished, I will have studied each of the resources offered to Grades K-5. This will be a great learning experience that I can share with my students to aid them in navigating Infohio like pros!

Ariel Hakim 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I completed Explora for Grades 6-8 and Explora for Grades 9-12.

Most appealing to students: the ease of exploring potential research topics; for educators, I love the Cite tool. And I was really pleased to locate the Translate tool, which could be a game-changer for parents.

Explora is an excellent resource to use to teach students how to research using reputable sources. It's as easy to use to use as Google, and it's really what they need to lay the foundation for conducting sound research for the rest of their educational lives!

Adrienne Kalaitsides 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Hi Emily! This one was not required for me, however, I did spend some more time on Bookflix. I really like the fiction/nonfiction pairing. It's impressive how user friendy and interactive it is! I also like that the reads can be extended further through The Puzzlers and Dive Deeper. This is great info to share for our ELL teachers and tutors.

Sarah Sherwood 1 month, 3 weeks ago

World Book Kids

Our age students (K-3) should not be Googling!

World Book Kids is a great way to practice search skills in a safe place. It's easy to use, and all students can use it with the read aloud feature!