ICoach 2023-2024 Post 4: One Web Tool

by Emily Rozmus 8 months, 2 weeks ago
  1. After reviewing the web tools INFOhio offers, which one will you try? Who will benefit from it? 

I use isearch the most, primarily bc we are looking up a question for a discussion. This allows for an organic development of the conversation with the students.

Beth Clute 2 months ago

Yes, I use isearch. It is great tool. I'm going to do that with the students.

Tiffany Simonson 5 months, 3 weeks ago

I will try IWonder to help students K-5 ask and answer their own questions and conduct research on topics of their choosing.  

Dwight Meyer 5 months, 2 weeks ago

Book Nook seems like a good resource for students who are looking for their next read. I find that reluctant readers don’t really know what they like, but they also don’t know what the possibilities are. Searching for “football” or “basketball” quickly brings up 3 book trailers for each subject that might lead them to where they want to be.

Anne McDowell 5 months, 1 week ago

I am going to look into using iWonder in order to help build independent research skills. My 4th and 5th grade students will benefit from this resource. I'll be sharing it with my colleagues. 

Susan Ridgeway 5 months ago

I have always really liked the modules that teach students how to do research in Research 4 Success. This should be a prerequisite for all middle school and high school students. It is even useful for teachers to do because it gives them a pathway to teach and review research skills to their students.

Cassandra Rondinella 4 months, 4 weeks ago

I would like to incorporate BookNook into my regular repertoire of resources.  Since we have gone to Yondr bags in our district we have had students flooding back to the library looking for reading materials.  This gives them an opportunity to narrow down what they may be looking for.

Hanh Nutter 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I use Isearch a lost. Also share with students and teacher. It's helpful research on topic of their choosing.

Deborah Clayson-Hughes 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I am going to use IWonder. I like the idea that the age appropriate websites are chosen by Teachers and Librarians to help our learners  build the inquiry process. It also supports homework. Everyone wins. 

Lauren Rocco 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I have and will continue to use World Book Kids. I have already used this resource with a class of fourth graders to help them research an animal they chose in class. If there wasnt a book about the animal in the library or they needed another type of resource, I showed them how to navigate World Book Kids.

Adrienne Byers 4 months, 1 week ago

I have dipped my toes into World Book Kids when helping a class research animals. I think it will be a great research tool for all classes. 

ASHANTI SMITH 4 months, 1 week ago

I use Isearch a lot to help students find research infromation and also World Book Kids.

Heather Sanders 4 months ago

IWonder: I think this tool has many valuable applications for secondary (6-12) teachers. Specifically, career applications, practice another language, and research tools for projects. 

Angela Rogers 4 months ago

Isearch/fetch are good tools for students to learn to use. They connect directly to available items in your schools library, which can help students prepare and find the books they are looking for before they visit the library. 

Elizabeth Shirk 3 months, 3 weeks ago

I am going to try using World Book Kids. I am sometimes reluctant to do certain projects because I envision alot of issues allowing students to do their own research. This is a safe place for them to go and complete their research. I will encourage other teachers in my building to give it a try also. 

LillyAnne Tedesco 3 months, 1 week ago

EBSCO Learning Express. This tool can be used in the classroom to provide students with access to practice exercises, skill-building courses, and test preparation materials for a variety of subjects and standardized tests.I can use it in after school tutoring for students who want to practice for various tests, especially for test-taking strategies.

Natalie Hostutler 3 months, 1 week ago

I would like to incorporate BookNook as a resource to provide for students.  This allows them to choose books based on interest and reflection from fellow peers.  

Summer Lamp 2 months, 2 weeks ago

IWonder would be one I would try because it would help students with lower reading levels to conduct research on topics of their choosing and answer questions in class.

Darlene Alaniz 2 months, 2 weeks ago

I think I would like to try iWonder to help my students with lower reading levels or ELL students conduct research at a level they can understand while building independent research skills.

Gerard Grimm 2 months, 1 week ago

As a high school ELA teacher, we focus a great deal of the 2nd half of their sophomore year on research and supports in essays to prepare them for the state test required responses.  The Research 4 Success will help students better support their claims and provide informed responses in these practice essays.

Jill Hall 2 months, 1 week ago

The web tool I explored was IWonder - specifically the Career tiles.  I think the Career Aptitude Test would be especially benefical for those students who are unsure of where their skills/abilities/likes/dislikes would fit best in the career world.  It would also provide jobs that students may not have even know exsisted that would fit their personalities. 

Whitney Mihalik 2 months, 1 week ago

ISearch will give me and my students much easier access to online resources and will ensure they are trusted resources, rather than a standard Google search.

Melissa Jarvis 2 months ago

I will continue to use WorldBook Kids and WorldBook Student. They are great tools for teaching the early research process. 

Melissa Hudson 2 months ago

I've been instructing my library students to use the FETCH tool, because they can search for books or topics, and FETCH locates books in their own physical school library, plus on SORA as e-books. It's great for the students to be able to search both of those resources with one tool, rather than having to do two separate searches!

Gus Farmakidis 2 months ago

iSearch is the one web tool that seems to have the greatest impact for my students. It is so user friendly for the EL population as they are learning to strengthen their reading and research. 

Ariel Hakim 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Being pretty new in my position, I need to use iSearch more. It's such a great resource for finding things in the library.

Adrienne Kalaitsides 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I would like to dive deeper into IWonder. Most of my students leave a lot to be desired when it comes to research skills. I believe IWonder will also support the varied reading levels with my students. Age appropriate sites are a must.

Jordan Edith 1 month, 3 weeks ago

We use fetch alot for the students to find books they are interested in faster. On Sora, the search function is not the best when you are lookign for a topic if that topis is not the title of the book. Fetch allows the students to not only find books on sora, but also in person.

Amy Glosh 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I am currently demonstrating and reinforcing the use of FETCH with students. I would like them to see the connection between searching and finding books of interest, but they are struggling with defining topics (so that is an area for work). I think IWonder looks interesting and I will try to figure out a way to intergrate that into future lessons and/or class conversations. 

Lon Cseplo 1 month, 1 week ago

iWonder which web tool to choose? ;-)

iWonder is a unique way to approach providing access to these selected tools that I could see really reaching out--in a different manner--to students and staff. It allows students to explore the existing resources and tools in a fresh manner that feels different! I could see this being more accessible and exciting to students eager to access information in a fresh and meaningful and different manner.

Sam Appleby 1 month ago

I think that ISearch is a good Web Tool to get the students trained in using.  I agree with what Whitney said about a month ago.  Too often students go to in order to search is Google.  Although Google is a valuable resource, it can often take a person anywhere on the internet in terms of research.  The students might not necessarily be getting credible resources.  Instructing students to go to ISearch first might be a good way to break some bad habits.  

Linda Howell 1 month ago

After reviewing the web tools INFOhio offers, which one will you try? Who will benefit from it?

Research 4 Success.  Because reserch is an important part of the  high school experience