ICoach 2023-2024 Post 3: Three Resources

by Emily Rozmus 8 months, 2 weeks ago
  1. After looking at the Teach & Learn Flyer, what are three resources you would like to use in your classroom? Why did you choose these three?

I use bookflix, worldbook kids and Pebble go next  most often. The students practice using them as reference sources for various questions.

Tiffany Simonson 6 months ago

Resources I'd like to use are Explora, BookFlix, and World Book Kids to help kids learn how to use digital resources inside and outside of the classroom. 

Dwight Meyer 5 months, 2 weeks ago

This has been a great exercise for me from the standpoint that I am attempting to be very intentional about: 

• The resources that I share on our website.

• How I share them. (In this case the pathway.)

• Which links provide the simplest access to the resources?

When I became an iPartner, I shared Explora, Points of View, and World Book Advanced to emphasize our partnership between the High School and the Public Library that I split time between. Now that I am working to become an ICoach, I have taken a second look at my link for Points of View, I realized that I shared the same Oplin link that my Public Library, ACDL.org shared. This link has the extra step of needing to input a library card when it is used off-site, while the INFOhio POV is more direct because INFOhio doesn’t require a manual login. 

I chose Explora because it compiles peer-reviewed sources from multiple databases. Points of View discusses multiple perspectives of current issues which I was seeking to highlight when I was working on my website. Now I am realizing that Explora searches POV, but that the query process appears different. (Is it an overlay?) World Book in general is a good starting point for naive searchers. Often students don’t know “what exists” and World Book Advance appears to be the correct reading level and amount of focus for high school juniors and seniors.

Emily Rozmus 5 months, 1 week ago

Hi Dwight,

Explora is the "overlay." It is an interface that we (INFOhio) can decide what databases to include. Points of View is a single database that we chose to include in Explora. 

Explora  has slightly different searching capabilities. It does not have quite the same browsing features and also displays results differently than POV.

Great insight shared here as you explore the resources more!

Anne McDowell 5 months, 1 week ago

BookFlix (to books engagement and interest in reading), Highlights Library (for nonfiction and fiction resources), Financial Literacy eBooks (as a resource to share with our financial lit. teacher)

Dawn Ferrell 5 months ago

World Book Early Learning - Interactive learning games

World Book Kids - Interactive learning games

Highlights - I love these magazines - had them as kids

Susan Ridgeway 5 months ago

1. Bookflix, simply because the reading is done for you and kids love it.

2. The Digital Video Collection. I often find videos for teachers who need to address another teaching technique for students who are visual and auditory learners.

3. Highlights library for special topics, great pictures and quizzes at the end.

Cassandra Rondinella 4 months, 4 weeks ago

Even though I am in a high school, we have a wildly large ELL population that come to our building as new arrivals with no English or sometimes even technology literacy.  Bookflix, World Book Kids, and Explora are all great resources that help our students begin to connect with the English Language as well as with the content for the courses that they are also taking.

Deborah Clayson-Hughes 4 months, 2 weeks ago

I would like to use  Explora, BookFlix, and World Book Kids to help our learners learn how to use digital resources for reference sources

Lauren Rocco 4 months, 1 week ago

I would use Highlights library because I loved highlights when I was younger and I think its great that it still exsists and uses fiction and nonfiction for kids to explore. Another one I would use is World book kids because its an online encyclopedia and has great learning games. I would also use Explora because of the many different types of resourses to use for learning, including newspaper, magazine, and journal articles.

Adrienne Byers 4 months, 1 week ago

I like to use World Book Kids for the variety of ways it offers information. I also like BookFlix because I like how it pairs fiction and non-fiction. And finally, I love Highlights for the fun variety of topics and they way they are presented.

ASHANTI SMITH 4 months, 1 week ago

I use Bookflix, worldbook kids, and explora most often in the Library with my students and they often use them outside of class also. The students love the interactive activities and my younger students love the learning games and stories on Bookflix.

Darlene Wilson 4 months ago

I am not in the classroom, but I hope to encourage our staff by sharing information about all of these resources.  I am most interested in BookFlix (some of our teachers are already using this, but I would like to make sure they all know the value of this resource), Capstone Interactive eBooks (I know teachers are often lookig for read-aloud options for our struggling readers, so this could be a great option), and Explora (this looks like a very valuable way to help our younger kids with learning to research.)

Heather Sanders 4 months ago

BookFlix: a great resource for our ELA teachers with both fiction and nonfiction books. 

Highlights Library: this would be great for extended lessons with a focus on friendships and families. It would pair nicely with our already established Leader in Me program in our buildings. 

PebbleGo: wonderful resources for our SS and Science teachers

Angela Rogers 4 months ago

Bookflix - I like that they pair a fiction and nonfiction text on similar subjects together and that the stories are animated or can be read aloud to help increase participation.

World Book Kids and World Almanac - these are useful tools for online research. I like that they are safe resources and some items can be read aloud to students. 

Elizabeth Shirk 3 months, 3 weeks ago

I teach in a K-6 building and for my younger students, I would like to use Bookflix for various topics, such as weather, plants, etc. I also think that Student eBooks (ProQuest) looks like a wonderful tool for teachers to use when teaching science. I think Fetch is a really helpful site to find books that our district already has to save a trip to the public library.

LillyAnne Tedesco 3 months, 1 week ago

1.  Financial Literacy eBooks (Gale)  Financial literacy is going to be a new addition to our schools curriculum for graduating seniors.  They can be used to help students learn the basics of budgeting, saving, investing, managing debt, and more.

2. Literary Reference Center Plus: This resource offers a wide range of literary resources, I can offer to instruct teachers how they ca can use Literary Reference Center Plus to support their literature studies, help students analyze and interpret literary works, and strengthen their understanding of various literary genres.

3. World Book Advanced: Our school is an IB school where students are required to do a research paper.  This resource can provide primary soures and other features for differentiated instruction.

I'd like to use the following resources in my classroom: Explora, BookFlix, and World Book Kids. They are interesting and help students learn how to use digital resources inside and outside of the classroom. 

Summer Lamp 2 months, 2 weeks ago
  1. BookFlix- easy implementation and useful for ELL learners, good visuals
  2. Capstone Interactive Books- needing resources for science and social studies that provide interactive options
  3. World Book Kids- videos and activities to engage learners and has a translation option for ELL scholars.
Darlene Alaniz 2 months, 2 weeks ago

Bookflix, World Book and the Digital Video Collection. Teachers and staff do not have a lot of time to learn to navigate new resources so I think these are probably the easiest to explain with the biggest reward. Bookflix is an amazing resource especially for teachers with English Language Learners. 

Gerard Grimm 2 months ago

After browsing through it, I am excited to use Points of View Reference Center in my Journalism class during our weekly current events classroom discussion.   Similiarly, Explora will give students access to journalistic resources that in the increasingly 'paywall' world are becoming harder to access. Additionally, our district is returning the financial literacy classes from self-paced, independent studies to teacher led classroom courses so Financial Literacy eBooks (Gale) will provide them with a cost effective resource to do this.  

Whitney Mihalik 2 months ago

Explora: my students do a lot of research activities to understand the texts we read.

Points of View Reference Center: understanding multiple perspectives in one of the goals in my classroom. 

World Book Advanced: will give me access to primary sources to connect texts to the time period they were written in.

Jill Hall 2 months ago

1.  Capstone - Nonfiction - Health - I found the books in this resource to be very informative and engaging.  I plan to use several of these resources in the unit I teach on nutrition. 

2. Infobasebooks - This resource gives detailed information about hundreds of careers.  I would use this as a basis for a career research project following the IWonder Career Aptitude Test

3.FinancialLiteracyebooks - This resource gives detailed information about many aspects of budgeting.  I feel this would be a great addition to the unit I teach on financial literacy and allow me to provide higher level information for those students who are wishing to know more. 

Ron Moser 2 months ago

I look forward to diving deeper into Today's Science, World Almanac, and the Financial Literacy resources. These resources will help to provide me with more tools for helping my students learn. 

Melissa Jarvis 2 months ago

I regularly use World Book Kids, Pebble Go Next and Bookflix. They are all user friendly, fun resources that help engage students and encourage reading and learning.

Melissa Hudson 1 month, 4 weeks ago

The three resources I use most during student library visits are: 

Bookflix

World Book Kids

Pebble Go Next

These three resources present opportunities for my students to access books that read aloud to them, plus a wealth of research materials presented in a user-friendly fashion.

Gus Farmakidis 1 month, 4 weeks ago

Bookflix, digital video, and Explora. All of these resources help with the large EL population at Jennings CLC. They are able to understand their reading. So important.

Ariel Hakim 1 month, 3 weeks ago

Resources I'd like to use are BookFlix, PebbleGo Next, and World Alamanc to engage students in new ways. 

Sarah Sherwood 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I use BookFlix, World Book Kids, and Pebble Go Next most. Starting to use Culture Grams and Almanac as well. They are all easy for students of all abilities to use. 

Adrienne Kalaitsides 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I like Bookfix, students really like it - both fiction and nonfiction!

I also like Pebble Go Next. It is very user friendly and great for young learners and ELL

I like World Book. Always a solid go to. 👌

Hate to leave out DVC!

Jordan Edith 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I would like to use World book kids. I chose this reource specifically for the level of educational games they have. Alot of times it's hard to find websites that the students can be on during free time after lessons that are both entertaining and educational. 

Next i would use the BookFlix. One thing that i am seeing alot of is that students read but don't comprehend or internalize the information that they are reading. Bookflix tries to remedy this by having games and videos that directly corerelate to what the students just read directly after retaining the information. 

The third resource I would use is Pepple Go specifically for my older kids. It is easily navigationalable for research

Amy Glosh 1 month, 3 weeks ago

I would (and do) use BookFlix, World Book Kids and World Almanac for kids. I chose these 3 because they are engaging to kids and provide different subject areas for exploration. 

We have also been working on using FETCH to find books in our library and on SORA as this is a basic skill that elementary students need to develop. 

Lon Cseplo 1 month, 1 week ago

These resources I feel would be most useful to explore and share in my high school:

Career eBooks: to explore with my high school students and the counselors in my building, for high schoolers exploring careers.

High School Collection eBooks (EBSCO) seems like it would be a great supplement to our existing ebook collection through SORA.

Today's Science may help to establish, for our science classes, access to up-to-date science news, to supplement our GALE science resource.

Sam Appleby 1 month ago

Three resources I would like to utilize as a high school librarian are:

1) Digital Video Collection - I think that this could be used as a supplemental resource for my collegues for their planning purposes.

2) Explora for Grades 9-12 - I think this can provide yet another valuable place that students can use to reference articles in order to obtain research for writing papers at the High School level.

3) Finanacial Literacy eBooks(Gale) - I think this is something I might be able to utilize in my building advisory or impact periods in order to help students understand basic knowledge of Financial Literacy because it is such an important topic.  

Linda Howell 1 month ago
  1. After looking at the Teach & Learn Flyer, what are three resources you would like to use in your classroom? Why did you choose these three? 
    1. Bookflix - Because it will relate to our ESL population 
    2. Explora - Because our students can use it for recearch.
    3. Career ebooks - Because it relates to our academy model.