xCT+ 2022 Post 6: Rubric Review

by Emily Rozmus 1 year, 8 months ago
  1. Use the INFOhio Teach & Learn flyer to find the resources to support your grades/subjects. 
  2. Apply the RemotEDx Rubric to an INFOhio resource you would like to use to supplement a lesson. What are the resource's strong points? What could be improved?

Please post your answers below. 

Melissa Solema 1 year, 7 months ago

World Book Kids offers standards alignment, meets multiple research-based strategies, offers offline activities or printables options, offers instructional support. Sharing is possible through ISearch, however, the interface limits the ability to quickly share links like other ebook collections and resources from INFOhio.

Emily Kriegel 1 year, 7 months ago

I swear I already did all these blog posts for this one, but they're all gone. 

I looked at the Ant and the Grasshopper unit on BookFlix.

As for usability, all of the visuals and fonts seem accessible for learners. There is also audio which accompanies it, so that would increase accessibility. My only issue with accessibility could be access to high-speed internet. Some of the readings and activities might require more bandwidth than is available. 

As for flexibility and adaptability, you would not be able to access these stories without the internet unless you had physical text supplements. You would not be able to play the games at all without internet activity. The teacher could likely recreate these in physical form, but that would obviously take time and resources. 

As for inclusive teaching, this seems to be the resource's strength. It would be engaging to a variety of learners and is free of bias and objectivity. The students have a variety of activities and material to use which will help draw in all types of students. 

It also excels in further learning because it provides a link for students to "dive deeper." This gives the students an opportunity to engage in learning that will interest them and keep them engaged. 

Nicole Dozois 1 year, 7 months ago

I used the resource Book Flix, this resource is very inviting with the ease of use and graphics. With this resources students can choose the topic of interest, which then gives them another option to filter their interest. Once a book is selected based on the students interest, it allows for the student select the type of format they would like to "read" the book: they can have it read to them via a video, they can also choose to read the book page by page or via read aloud. There are also follow up activities that the students can choose from (2 choices) both engaging game style activities. Lastly, there is an opportunity to "dive deeper" where they provide resources from the web. This resouces meets all of the high quality standards but I was not able to find any options to print materials, this may limit how useable the resource may be for some educators/students. 

Dave Clark 1 year, 7 months ago

The resource that I looked at was Capstone Interactive Books, and the specific title that I looked at was "Breaker Boys".  The resource provided the grade range, reading and Lexile levels, and standards alignment.  The interactivity provided definitely could increase the engagement level of a student reader that uses this resource.  The possibility of increasing reader interest through the interactivity of the book is definitely appealing, but the number of reader supports and customizations does not appear to be extensive. 

Lindsey Schmiesing 1 year, 6 months ago

I have worked with districts in the past and always introduce Book Flix to the teachers. They are always excited to begin implementing it within their classrooms. As I explored the different resources within the flyer I found a resource that I have not explored. Capstone Interactive Books is an amazing resource that I think teachers will love! In fact, I just worked with a group of teachers that were looking for interactive books online. This resource has an abundance amount of books online that can be used in the classroom. I think the primary teachers will use this in a variety of ways within their classrooms. I think teachers will use this during their center times. You can filter the books in a variety of ways, but I wish it linked to the standards that it covers. It would be great if teachers could see how these books align cross-curricular. 

Bill Mooney 1 year, 5 months ago

I looked at World Book Advanced for 9-12 users.

Usability. The page layout and font and clean are readable. In addition, content can be read to students.

Flexibility and Adaptability. It does provide several ways for students to interact with articles. I love the 'Media" tab above each article that allows students to explore images, maps, video, and audio that connect with the report.

Inclusive Teaching. I found numerous resources and linked texts that provided other viewpoints on articles.

Research-Based Stratigies.  Does build background knowledge using a variety of sources.