xCT+ 2022 Post 2: Reflecting on Your Learning

by Emily Rozmus 1 year, 7 months ago

How will you use Open Space Groups in future professional development? What impact could this resource have on professional learning?

Gretchen Lawn 1 year, 7 months ago

I like the ease with which you can have discussions and share resources in Open Space Groups. I typcially use Google Classroom and Google Sites, but sometimes feel like those platforms can be limited in their scope. This platform seems to flow easier for those two things. Having the ability to upload resources and have discussions could help greatly during professional learning situations. And anyone can access Open Space with a log in. Google can be silly and block people based on their domain.

Emily Kriegel 1 year, 7 months ago

I agree with Gretchen regarding scope. Open Space seems to have a greater capacity to reach more people. I also think that a significant barrier to teachers is the amount of time they often have to find quality material. Being able to create a space where professionals can share resources that have worked for them will not only cut down on time spent by teachers, but it could create a community of educators as well.

Bill Mooney 1 year, 7 months ago

Sharing resources in Open Space groups can elevate our interactions and provide materials that all of us can use and modify to fit our audiences.

Emily Rozmus 1 year, 6 months ago

I love this insight on what makes Open Space easier to use for collaboration and sharing resources! I will be sharing this feedback with our team!

Melissa Solema 1 year, 6 months ago

Our media user group is working toward sharing resources, knowledge, and experiences. We plan to use an Open Space group to add resources and communicate between meetings.

Lindsey Schmiesing 1 year, 6 months ago

Melissa - I agree, I think Open Space will allow groups to easily share resources and communicate with one another! 

Lindsey Schmiesing 1 year, 6 months ago

I think Open Space is going to enhance our professional development! I think it will allow our teachers to collaborate without leaving their classrooms. I also feel that we can utilize Open Space when deliver in person professional development in order to share our resources in a user-friendly format. I know many of our educators use Google Classroom, but I think Open Space mirrors the features and is more user-friendly and anyone can login and start using it. 

Dave Clark 1 year, 6 months ago

I would agree that the Open Space platform is very user-friendly.

Nicole Dozois 1 year, 6 months ago

Open Space groups could easily be used as a collaboration space following any professional development. For example, I recently provided professional development on the adoption of an intervention tool. Many of the professionals there wanted to be able to follow up and ask questions as they implemented the intervention tool. This is a great resource to offer an open space for collaboration around a common topic. 

Dave Clark 1 year, 6 months ago

If future PD sessions, utilizing OpenSpace opens the door to continued collaboration after the session is over. Not only between myself as the PD provider, but between other learners in the session.  This provides an excellent opportunity for the collaboration and the professional learning to extend beyond the date of the session.

Dave Miller 1 year, 5 months ago

We have used Open Space Groups as a means to host and support some of our networks at the ESC of Lorain and ESC of Northeast Ohio. We have a joint network called the Regional Instructional Technology Group that meets throughout the year. We careated an open space group to support this network. We initially posted a resource on cybercrime inside the group. 

Where to host resources for networks like this are always challenging. We often post them in Google under someone's account, but these folders become difficult for users to track, and if the host user moves to another position, the resources get archived with their account.  Hosting these resources inside the OpenSpace website allows them to be made available to users across the state, and it advertises the resources and the network for others to join.  I believe as more educators understand the benefit of Openspace, it will increase in value.