Reading in the Digital Wilderness

by INFOhio Staff 1 year, 10 months ago
  1. How did you do on the quizzes posted in the Reading on the Screen for Lifelong Learning lesson in the Reading on the Screen class? Why do you think you had the outcomes you did? Did anything surprise you?
  2. What elements do you rely on to help you determine if the information is reliable or not? What reading techniques do you use?
  3. How can you share what you learned in this lesson with your students? What will be of most value to them?
Gretchen Lawn 1 year, 6 months ago

I did okay. I am a voracious reader though and don't really care what type of text I am reading. I just want to read anything. I think it is relatively easy to identify whether information is reliable once you have experience and practice reading a lot of different information. Making sure that you know the source is extremely important to identifying the reliability though.  I think it is most important for students to read as much as possible in as many formats as possible. This will help them identify what they love most and then hopefully deepen that love.

Timothy Fuller 1 year, 1 month ago

1. With the current media headlines, it is really tough to get unbias reporting. Click bait is always going to be a problem with digital media. The links were not available at this time.

2. Prior knowledge helps determine some of the content that I understand to be true. However, when reading for pleasure, information, or other, I always consider the source.

3. Always think about the information you are looking forand how it is presented. They are still developing these skills but they need to continue to ask questions.

Misty Tinney 10 months, 2 weeks ago

I was unable to take the quizzes. One had a paywall and the other one said the site could not be found. 

Angie Williams 6 months, 1 week ago

1.  I was really hit and miss with those quizzes.  Reputable and fake sources are both engaging with pictures and gifs that  grab a readers attention.  This makes it difficult to tell the real from the fake sometimes.

2.  I typically don't count on anything I see on social media as reliable.  If I am looking for reliable information, I will go to reliable sources directly.

3.  I think older kids would enjoy taking the quizzes themselves to see how they do.  It would open up a good discussion of what sources you can trust and how users are manipulated.

Amy Glosh 4 months, 1 week ago

1. Fake headlines was no longer available, but I did pretty well on the fake FB posts. I think I have become VERY cynical of any information and am definitely on the lookout for the grammatical and spelling errors pointed out in the article. 

2. In addition to the errors pointed out above, my own salvo is if it's too good to be true, it probably is not true. ANYthing that perfectly supports one extreme or the other is suspect and deserves additional investigation. 

3. Reminding students to be aware and to play out the possible scenarios before they accept something as fact will be a solid start. 

Angela Rogers 2 months, 3 weeks ago
  1. How did you do on the quizzes? Why do you think you had the outcomes you did? Did anything surprise you?

I was only able to complete the Facebook quiz, as the other quiz was no longer available. I only missed one of the questions. I don't think anything surprised me really because I have been a part of social media since it began. 

1. What elements do you rely on to help you determine if the information is reliable or not? What reading techniques do you use?

When using social media, I rarely view any of the information as reliable. I feel it's important to go straight to the source to get reliable information. Big read flags are spelling and grammar errors for me. 

1. How can you share what you learned in this lesson with your students? What will be of most value to them?

In my technology classes we complete a lesson that discusses how you can't believe everything you see online. I think students are still very trusting and gullible, so it is important to have these discussions with them. 

JACKIE (JACQUELINE) OLWINE 1 month, 1 week ago

I did really well on the quizzes because I read a lot of internet content and have learned over time what is fake and what is not although sometimes I still find myself conned. 

The elements I rely on are facts, common sense and research if needed. 

By having them take the quiz and explaining the reasons that something seems to be fake and how it is used quite a bit in the same way.