Instructional Materials from Literature Online

by INFOhio Staff 1 year, 10 months ago

Share the resource that you found and identify how you will use it in instruction. Reply to the thread and review and reply to other participants' responses.

Emily Kriegel 1 year, 6 months ago

I went into the Shakespeare module to search for Macbeth. I found Macbeth within the collection. When I would teach Shakespeare, the biggest problem would be accessibility. Students really struggled with the language. If I used this in class, I envision us reading together. At the end of each page or scene (whichever came first), we could work through that page together and come up with a brief summary of that page. Students could then type our findings in the notes section, so they could refer back to that note as the play progressed. 

Emily Kriegel 1 year, 6 months ago

I couldn't find the "Integrating Digital Text in Your Classroom" discussion, so I'm going to post that response here. As a former Language Arts teacher, most of what I did in the classroom would make integrating Literature Online a piece of cake. We used diverse texts frequently, so it wouldn't be unusual for me to expose the students to all the texts available. We also break our texts down by time period, so it would be "easy" to look for supplemental texts for resources we already use by using the time period filter.

As with anything tech related, I worry about user error using this in the classroom. "I forgot my password". "It's not letting me log in." "I forgot to download it, so I couldn't do the homework." I'm thinking a way to curb some of this would be to do most of that logistical stuff together. We could have the same password for the entire class, and the student's username could be their first initial and last name. We could all download together as a class, and check that it is there before we leave the class. 

My favorite feature really has to be the notes feature. Students don't "like" to annotate, but I know the importance of being an active reader. While it's really nice to annotate by hand on a printed copy, I like having students do digital notes because that looks like what they will do on the state test. 

Timothy Fuller 1 year, 1 month ago

My favorite feature really has to be the notes feature. Students don't "like" to annotate, but I know the importance of being an active reader. While it's really nice to annotate by hand on a printed copy, I like having students do digital notes because that looks like what they will do on the state test. 

My 6th grade students are learning this skill and 4th grade are being introduced and starting an understanding. This feature will be helpful and hopefully mastered by the students with their understanding of citing the source.

Gretchen Lawn 1 year, 6 months ago

I love your ideas for Macbeth. This would allow for accessbility for all readers.

Timothy Fuller 1 year, 1 month ago

The resource I found was in Literature and narrowed it down to dramas. From there it talked about plays and their origin. The levels available were 1 and 2 and  this would take care of the students I work with in 4th grade. For my 6 grade students I would need to search for a resource with level 3 included. I am confident that this resource will be used in the following school year.

In the higher level, the poems section will be great. I teach to 6th grade so 7th and above will be usefull for my colleagues.

Jennifer Mccomas 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I like how you found the information on the origin of a play that's important to know 

Jennifer Mccomas 6 months, 2 weeks ago

I found information on fall. I want to use the information to give my class a more in-depth look at what fall really is 

Lily Blackburn 2 months, 1 week ago

I will utilize the Preschool Science books to share non-fiction facts through video or read-aloud format.