Features of Literature Online

by INFOhio Staff 1 year, 10 months ago
  1. Thinking about the students you work with and your curriculum, name at least 2 collections that you could use in your classroom. 
  2. Open the resource using the steps listed in this lesson and do a little exploring on your own. What are some things you notice when first looking at the resource?
  3. Think of a time when you used a website or online tool in your instruction. What did you like about using the digital resource? How was it different than using other resources in your teaching?
Emily Kriegel 1 year, 6 months ago

This is a FANTSTIC resource. When I taught at Toledo Public Schools, there were multiple times when we didn't have enough copies of a text for all of the students. We did, however, have chromebooks, so we would have been able to utilize this resource. I think I would definitely utilize the Drama collection. I also would have used the poetry section. Poetry isn't drilled extremely hard in the standards, so that often gets left in the background. To have good quality poems at the students' fingertips would have made it much easier to inject into lessons.

The filters are a fantastic feature. I can filter by just about every category I could imagine. Being able to filter by publication year is my favorite feature because it could help me, as an educator, discover texts I didn't even know existed during a time period. I also like that when you open the text itself, students are able to take notes and bookmark pages. They would also be able to download the text in the event that they didn't have internet access at home. I know the students would like the "citations" feature.

Honestly, when I would pull resources off the web, I would usually just pull PDFs of texts in the public domain and print them with students. The organization of this tool is phenomenal. Also, the assurance tha I'm getting the complete text I ask for would be very helpful; far too often, I would realize a PDF was missing pages or wasn't what I expected after we'd already started reading it. 

Timothy Fuller 1 year, 1 month ago

Looking through Gale it has an incredible library of information in different areas (sports, drama, and others).

Looking at Literature, short stories and drama caught my attention. Upon opening, I noticed the different levels available for student learning. This is wonderful as I can make sure all students in my classroom can learn at their level of understanding and ability.

Using online tools are a given as all students have chromebooks in the classroom. The resources I've used in the past do not have the flexibility of Gale. I look forward to incorporating this into my Google Classroom activities.

Jennifer Mccomas 6 months, 2 weeks ago

The two collection I could use would be anything that has to do with princesses and super heros

my class really enjoy things like that. 

the first thing I notice what the large amount of resources provided it is amazing 

I have never tries to use a website in my instruction

Lily Blackburn 2 months, 1 week ago

1. The science and Nature category as well as the People and PLaces categories seem like 2 resources we would use in our classroom that support our curriculum.

2. The layout is simple. K-5 is a little too mature for my Preschoolers, but the younger aged books are great. I enjoy the highlighting of words as the story is read aloud. 

3. I like that it is easy to use, especially when projected on a screen that all my students are looking at. Where as collecting books are sometimes a hassle with library orders and not having a book in the classroom that we need, Resources like Highlights offers it right at your finger tips. A great back up idea