SymphonyWeb Check-In; Welcome Back!

by Kamile Shed 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Good Afternoon and Welcome Back

I am sure most of you are off to good running start this school year and your libraries are in full swing.  I wanted to share some information on the Global Item Modify wizard. SirsiDynix has shared that is currently in their "Task Force" but I have been told with a future release of Symphony a fix may be included for this issue.

On another note, I would like to ask how many of you are continuing to use SymphonyWeb and at what frequency.  Are any of you Google users that are using SymphonyWeb with Google Docs to open reports?

Lastly, are any of you planning to go to OELMA this year, October 5 and 6?  INFOhio has a great presentation line up and I will be presenting on "Cloud Bassd Reporting with INFOhio's Library Service Platform".  I hope to see you at OELMA and hope that you have a great school year this year!

-Kamile

Jennifer Metz-Fischer 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I haven't been using SymphonyWeb yet this school year. I actually lost my bookmarks (and the URL) when my device was updated over the summer. I just found the URL and got logged back in, so I'll try to start using it more regularly. I really want to check out using Google Docs to open reports since that's that only thing I use Word for.

I'll also be at OELMA, so I'll keep your presentation in mind and maybe I'll see you there!

Kamile Shed 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Hello Jennifer,

I am glad you will be using SynphonyWeb during school year. Please feel free to provide feedback on your experience using SymphonyWeb with GoogleDocs for reports. You can find documentation for this in the LIbrary Services Handbook: https://www.infohio.org/images/ZOO_DOCS/wfhandbook/SymphonyWeb/SymphonyWeb-%20Opening%20Reports.pdf.  Hope to see you at OELMA as well!

-Kamile

Teanna Weeks 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I used SymphonyWeb over the summer and will continue to use it; I can't remember the last time I logged into Workflow.

We are a Google school, but I didn't realize we could use Google Docs to open reports. I would assume this doesn't include reports for printing labels, simply because I don't know how that would work. Can I get more info about this?

I won't be at OELMA and I'm unsure if any of the librarians will be there.

Hello Teanna,

Thank you for your feedback!  Currently you can open reports in Google Docs, you can find the documentation in LIbrary Services Handbook: https://www.infohio.org/images/ZOO_DOCS/wfhandbook/SymphonyWeb/SymphonyWeb-%20Opening%20Reports.pdf.  Recently, I have worked on a solution to open barcode labels in Google Docs as well. I currently do not have documetation for this process, as it is not an official approved process and requires some additional backend steps, but would love to share how it works to get your feedback: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1si7V0y5XC61Z3JRU_V9Hac9rz7dd9uM5/view?usp=sharing

-Kamile

Joe Falk 7 months, 3 weeks ago

Thank you for posting those instructions, I hadn't puzzled out what to do with the unformatted report that opened in the browser tab. For some reason we continue to lose connection to the desktop version of Workflows, so I am encouraging all the libraries at LCS to switch to SymphonyWeb.

Awesome to hear Joe!  For the unformated report that opens in a browser tab.  You can download the report instead and save the report to your local drive or Desktop, be sure to when saving the file change the .txt extension to .doc. This will allow you to open the file on your local computer with Microsoft Word.

-Kamile

Erik Burgeson 7 months, 3 weeks ago

I have been using Symphoney Web and all is well, except for theat Global Modify issue you mentioned.  I will not be at OELMA this year.

Hello Erik,

Thank you for your feedback, I am glad to hear that you are still using SymphonyWeb as your primary LSP.

-Kamile

Sascha Durben 7 months, 2 weeks ago

We are using SymphonyWeb in all 4 of our libraries daily.  I use WorkFlows when I need to do a Global Item Modify or run reports.  Haven't had time to spend trying to use Google Docs with it, but we are a Google School.  Our 4 machines are 4 of the 9 in the entire district that are PCs with Word yet.  Everyone else in the district is Chromebook.

I will not be attending OELMA due to schedule conflicts.

Kamile Shed 7 months, 2 weeks ago

Hello Sascha,

Thank you for your response!  I happy to hear  you are still using SymphonyWeb daily.  Also, since you are a Google school, opening reports would be beneficial to your in Google Docs.  Threre are instructions now available for this in the Library Services Handbooks: https://www.infohio.org/images/ZOO_DOCS/wfhandbook/SymphonyWeb/SymphonyWeb-%20Opening%20Reports.pdf. 

-Kamile