Of Plymouth Plantation / Coming of Age in the Dawnland from 1491 Help

by Steve Casalinuovo 1 year, 6 months ago

Hey everyone,

Quick update: I got hired as a full-time English teacher at Bishop Ready High School in Columbus!

I'm teaching English 10.  They have flipped the 11th and 10th grade curricula, so I need some help with "Of Plymouth Plantation".  Do any of you have any ideas on how to make this material pop?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

Mary Rowland 1 year, 6 months ago

Hi Steve,

Congratulations on your new teaching position! I was in a similar situation where we experimented with teaching American Literature in 10th grade. During that time I taught Of Plymouth Plantation. I would often pair the primary source, "Of Plymouth Plantation" with secondary sources, modern-day historical accounts of the Plymouth colony. I would start with the databases available through INFOhio. I would search the database, read the articles in my result list, and select the best article for my students. ISearch and Explora for Grades 9-12 are a good start. I did a quick search using "Plymouth colony" and found an article from Archeology magazine about the Plymouth Rock myth. My students were always amazed as we compared Bradford's "first-hand" account and the secondary sources based on historical research. It also allowed me the opportunity to discuss with students the difference between primary and secondary sources and so much more to unpack. 

Hope this helps, Steve!