- Melissa Fortman
- Reading Literature
- Material Type:
- Lesson Plan
- Middle School
- Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike
- Media Formats:
Interactive Story Map
Book Nook Book Report
Students will select or be assigned to read a chapter book and create LEGO Google Slide Book based on this book. The finished book report will be submitted to INFOhio's Book Nook for reivew. If accepted the book trailer will be posted to the Book Nook website.
1. Put students in groups of three and help them select a book that is within their lexile level. Another option would be to group students based on lexile levels and assign a book to each group.
2. Give them a time period to read the book and fill in the attached story map as they read.
3. Share examples of student created book trailers found on INFOhio's Book Nook.
4. Discuss some important points to consider when making a book trailer.
5. There are different planning tools on Book Nook that the students can use to explore, but for this lesson, the students will be building three scenes using LEGOs.
6. Walk students through the process of building a scene for the beginning, middle, and end of the book.
7. Guide students through the process of taking pictures of each LEGO scene on their Chromebooks and then uploading the pictures onto their Google Slide project. (It's a good idea to have students take their pictures using some sort of light and colored paper as the background.) Students may add dialogue to their LEGO scenes too.
8. Students will then type three other slides to go with their pictures. These slides should explain the beginning, middle and end of the book.
9. Students should add one more slide as the review of the book.
10. After all the slides have been proof-read, students will use Screencastify to read and record their LEGO reports.
11. These slide presentations can then be uplopaded to Book Nook for possible publication.
12. Another option would be to have the librarian use these book trailers to entice students to read different books.
To be completed after you have finished reading your assigned AR book with your group:
1. Using the LEGO kit provided to you, design and build three scenes from your book. Each person should build one scence illustrating the beginning, middle and end of the book.
2. Using your Chromebook and the background paper provided, take a picture of each scene and save it in your Google Slide presentation. You may add dialogue if you want.
3. Then write a brief summary for each part of the book that goes along with each slide. Each person should type of summary.
4. Together as a group, type a one paragraph book review of the book. Include whether or not you would recommend this book to another student at our school.
5. As a group, practice reading the script of your slide presentation. Make sure you don't have any spelling or grammar errors.
6. Follow the teacher's direction to record yourselves on Screencastify.
7. Follow the rubic given to you, and submit your project to Book Nook.